USAC recap – May 30

By Sharon Zhen

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government that represents the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a livestream of the meetings on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Special presentations

• General Representative 3 Justin Jackson proposed changing the bylaws to appoint a liaison within the internal vice president’s office to work between the On-Campus Housing Council and USAC. The council did not approve this bylaw change.

Appointments

• The council unanimously appointed Karina Keus, second-year neuroscience student, to the Student Health Advisory Committee. Keus was not present, so the council suspended the bylaws to appoint her.
  • The council unanimously appointed Stan Kuboi, a third-year psychobiology student to the SHAC.

Officer and member reports

• Chloe Pan, external vice president, said her office will be interviewing applicants for staff positions starting this week. She said she hopes to enroll more students for CalFresh benefits, a food voucher program.
  • Divya Sharma, academic affairs commissioner, said his office will start publicizing programs for international students, such as the International Transition Summer Program.
  • Sharma added he met with the University of California Student Association’s academic affairs director to talk about creating an academic network conference next year.
  • Kayla He, general representative 2, said she will finalize her staff by Thursday. She said she is working on adding scholarship workshops for international students during new student orientation. She added she wants to better connect the Student Alumni Association with international students at the International Student Leadership Coalition’s meeting Thursday.
  • Administrative representative Debra Geller said administrators are working to create a committee to address student group misconducts in a transparent manner.

Fund allocation

• The council approved an allocation of $950 to the Cultural Affairs Commission from the Contingency Programming Fund.
  • The council also approved an allocation of $10,662 to student organizations from the Contingency Programming Fund.
  • The council approved withdrawing $4,346.79 from the Capital Contingency Fund. The council also approved transferring $5,000 to the Capital Contingency Fund.

Old business

• The council changed the bylaws to create a parking advocacy task force in the Financial Supports Commission.

New business

• The council also approved changes to The Green Initiative Fund’s guidelines.
  • The council voted to amend the agenda to discuss the Afrikan Student Union’s demands to the administration for a Black Resource Center and $40 million endowment.
  • Incoming ASU Chair Asia Bingaman and incoming ASU Vice Chair Kosi Ogbuli said they are currently negotiating with the administration. They added they want a letter of solidarity from USAC to support their demands.
Sharon Zhen
Zhen is an assistant news editor for the national and higher education beat. She was previously a contributor for the campus politics beat and an online contributor.