First annual Bruin Games celebrates diversity, raises money for charity

Students participated in a five-on-five soccer tournament at the first Bruin Games event, a program created by the Undergraduate Students Association Council. (Farida Saleh/Daily Bruin)

By Kalei Aricayos

Students played recreational activities and outdoor games at UCLA’s first Bruin Games event Wednesday.

About 60 people attended the event, which was hosted by the Undergraduate Students Association Council general representative 3, at the Sunset Canyon Recreation Center. Students played in a soccer tournament and participated in cultural activities like origami and the board game mancala.

Former USAC General Representative 3 Inan Chowdhury created the event as part of one of his platforms. Chowdhury, whose term ended May 9, said he created the platform to provide students from different backgrounds with a space to compete in activities for charity.

“I wanted to create an event where students can celebrate the richness of diversity and experience a sense of unity,” Chowdhury said. “Friendly competition for a good cause is a way of developing interplay between different communities.”

The office worked with the Youth Movement Against Alzheimer’s to educate students about the charity, which aims to promote youth understanding of Alzheimer’s disease. Students were able to donate to the charity by purchasing optional tickets or merchandise.

[Related: USAC general representative implements new hammock rental program]

Wadie Chalgham, a doctoral student in mechanical engineering, said he came to the event because he heard about it from a flyer on Bruin Walk. He said he enjoyed the event and said he is more interested in the Youth Movement Against Alzheimer’s charity.

“I’m a new student and trying to get involved so I came to make new friends and watch the games,” Chalgham said.

Olly Sholotan, a second-year musical theater student, said he enjoyed playing soccer with his friends even though they hadn’t played in soccer tournaments before.

“It’s fun and free,” Sholotan said. “It would be cooler if there were more people.”

Chowdhury said the event’s organizers plan to improve the event and make it larger in the future.

“I think it was decent for its first time,” Chowdhury said. “We realized what went right and what went wrong. We have the structure for it now and we know how to make it a bigger event.”

The program is now a separate organization and they plan to recruit an executive staff for next year, Chowdhury said.

Kalei Aricayos