University police investigate suspicious package near School of Dentistry

UCPD is investigating a suspicious package in front of the UCLA School of Dentistry’s entrance.
(Jintak Han/Assistant Photo editor)

By Rupan Bharanidaran

This post was updated May 25 at 4:27 p.m.

University police investigated a suspicious package near the entrance of the UCLA School of Dentistry Thursday afternoon and determined it was harmless.

UCPD spokesperson Nancy Greenstein said police officers arrived at the scene and cordoned off the perimeter around the package. Officers then used a bomb dog to determine whether the package was dangerous.

Los Angeles Police Department officers with the bomb squad also joined the investigation on site.

Officers began clearing the area around 4 p.m. after determining the package posed no threat.

In a BruinAlert message sent Thursday afternoon around 3 p.m., UCPD asked students to avoid the School of Dentistry near Tiverton Drive, south of Charles E. Young Drive, until further notice. Another BruinAlert message at 4:15 p.m. gave the all clear.

Rupan Bharanidaran | Alumnus
Bharanidaran was the News editor from 2017-2018. He was previously a news reporter for the campus politics beat, covering student government and the UCLA administration.