USAC Election Board issues five sanctions

By Rupan Bharanidaran

The undergraduate student government election board has issued five sanctions since Thursday night.

The board sanctioned independent candidates Sayron Stokes and Divya Sharma on Thursday night, and sanctioned independent candidate Jack Price and Bruins United candidate Neha Quraishi Friday afternoon.

Transfer student representative candidate Stokes was sanctioned for placing campaign leaflets in the Ralph J. Bunche Center for African American Studies, violating election code rules that do not allow candidates to distribute campaign materials in academic buildings. As a result, Stokes was prohibited from campaigning from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. Friday.

External vice president candidate Price was prohibited from campaigning from 1:45 p.m. to 3 p.m. Friday for submitting a campaign expense account form to the election board after the deadline.

The election board also sanctioned candidates for social media violations.

The election board ordered two students supporting Sharma, who is running for academic affairs commissioner, to add election board disclaimers to social media messages in support of Sharma. In addition, Sharma’s campaign was ordered to place the election board logo on a video it released on its Facebook page.

Quraishi was ordered to add an election board disclaimer to a campaign message she sent Facebook.

Voting for this year’s Undergraduate Students Association Council election ends 3 p.m. Friday, and results will be announced in Meyerhoff Park at 5 p.m.

Click here for full coverage of the 2017 USAC elections.

Rupan Bharanidaran | Alumnus
Bharanidaran was the News editor from 2017-2018. He was previously a news reporter for the campus politics beat, covering student government and the UCLA administration.