Softball focuses on aggressive play, communication to fend off Arizona

Sophomore Brianna Tautalafua and the UCLA softball team will take on No. 3 Arizona in the penultimate conference series of the season. The Bruins will counter the Pac-12 leader in home runs with strong pitching, key hits and pinpoint communication. (Hannah Johnson/Daily Bruin)

By Katie Sered

They’ve combined for 20 national titles, but UCLA and Arizona softball are only focused on this weekend’s series.

The Bruins and the Wildcats are two of the most decorated programs in college softball and lead the Pac-12 conference in softball titles.

“There’s obviously history between the two schools and we look forward to a great game and a great series,” said coach Kelly Inouye-Perez.

This long-standing rivalry between the two schools has been going on for years, with UCLA taking the series 2-1 last year in Tucson, Arizona.

On Friday, the No. 12 Bruins (37-12) will have home-field advantage against the No. 3 Wildcats (47-5), who haven’t dropped a conference series since losing to then-No. 14 Utah in April.

UCLA will have just two Pac-12 series left before postseason play.

“We gotta finish strong,” Inouye-Perez said. “We’re really focused on the regular season right now, more so than the postseason.”

After dropping two games to Oregon State for the first time in program history, UCLA has put together an eight-game winning streak behind consistent pitching and timely hitting.

On the mound, the four UCLA pitchers have a combined ERA of 2.59, giving up just one run in an 8-1 win in their last game against Stanford.

“The biggest advantage is that we’re going to get the last punch,” Inouye-Perez said. “As the home team, you’re going to get the last at-bats.”

The Bruins, who have hit 56 home runs this season, possess an RBI total of 232, including 27 in sweep of the Stanford Cardinal.

Their success stemmed from their ability to stay aggressive at the plate and for the pitchers to pound the strike zone.

“I think it all comes from a team effort,” said sophomore infielder Brianna Tautalafua. “On offense, we need to string hits together one by one down the lineup and we need to have communication.”

The Wildcats will counter the Bruins with their own pitching staff, who have a combined ERA of 1.23. Arizona’s Danielle O’Toole has pitched 184.1 innings, only claiming a 0.95 ERA.

But the key to Arizona’s 47-5 record this season has been their hitting.

At the plate, the Wildcats have driven home a total RBI of 359 this season, including a conference-high 87 homers. Katiyana Mauga leads the Pac-12 with 22 home runs, followed by teammates Jessie Harper and Alyssa Palomino with 18 and 16 respectively.

Stopping Arizona this weekend in their final home game will require UCLA to combine solid defense with not only efficient hits but also with their communication.

“Everyone is expected to prepare to be able to help the team be successful in this next outing,” Inouye-Perez said. “Postseason is around the corner, which is why we have to focus on now and never letting up. We have to finish Pac-12 strong.”

After facing Arizona, UCLA will head to Tempe, Arizona, to face Arizona State in a three-game series next weekend rounding out the Pac-12 regular season play.

Katie Sered | Alumna
Sered joined the Bruin as a junior in 2017 and contributed until she graduated in 2018. She spent time on the softball, men's volleyball and men's soccer beats