Letter to the Editor: Bruin Democrats disappointed with Siegel’s recently leaked photo

By Nasir Ahmed

In light of the recently surfaced photograph of Undergraduate Students Association Council President Danny Siegel holding up a gang sign, it is only appropriate that we release this statement regarding Siegel, who is also our former finance director and external vice president.

We at Bruin Democrats are very aware of Siegel’s former role with our organization. We have endorsed him in the past and were fundamental in building him up to run for president in the first place. We do not, however, stand by his actions and we actively state our opposition to them.

Our current president, N.J. Omorogieva, led a discussion at our weekly meeting Wednesday about the recent revelations. During the discussion, Omorogieva and the rest of our constituency expressed their absolute disappointment with our USAC president and his apology.

“How can you apologize only when other people saw the photo, and not immediately when it was shared on a private GroupMe (chat) with your friends?” Omorogieva said. “For us to speak out … is very important to me and to this club.”

Other members also spoke up.

“It does not matter that this picture is a year old. A year ago he was running for president of UCLA and felt that was okay,” said our new Internal Vice President Hanna Almalssi.

It does not matter to us that this picture could have been shared for political reasons, or as an attack against Bruins United. Siegel’s insensitivity and privileged ignorance of gang culture and its destruction of African American communities do not align with our message in any way, shape or form.

Bruin Democrats is intent on inclusion and diversity. By working with minority groups on campus and influencing reforms in student government, we will be doubling down on our efforts to bring that change to UCLA culture.

Ahmed is a first-year neuroscience student and marketing director of Bruin Democrats.

Nasir Ahmed