Women’s soccer signs 10 new recruits, rounding out No. 2-ranked class

Coach Amanda Cromwell and the UCLA women’s soccer team signed 10 recruits, including the top-ranked prospect in the nation for the second consecutive year. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Melissa Zhang

UCLA women’s soccer signed 10 recruits Wednesday to complete the No. 2-ranked recruiting class in the nation by Top Drawer Soccer.

Among the incoming freshmen are Ashley Sanchez and Karina Rodriguez, who are ranked first and seventh in their class, respectively. This is the second consecutive year that the Bruins have claimed the nation’s top prospect after signing Mal Pugh in 2016.

Sanchez, a forward/midfielder, is a newcomer to the U.S. Women’s National Team. The Monrovia, California, native was previously a starter on the 2016 U.S. Under-20 World Cup Team and captain of the Under-17 World Cup Team in the same year.

The 2016 U.S. Soccer Young Female Player of the Year was the first U.S. player in history to play two world cups in a year.

Rodriguez, a defender from Torrance, California, is a two-time National Soccer Coaches Association of America Youth All-American and 2016 Youth Player of the Year nominee.

Kennedy Faulknor is the lone recruit from outside of California, hailing from Ontario, Canada. She was named the U-17 Canadian Player of the Year in 2015.

The defender is a member of the Canadian National Team and U-20 National Team.

In UCLA Athletics’ release, coach Amanda Cromwell said it is very rare to have two players with full national team experience, which she hopes will strengthen the squad once the fall schedule begins.

Signees Olivia Athens, Lauren Brzykcy, Rodriguez, Delanie Sheehan and Viviana Villacorta are all members of the U.S. Women’s Youth National Team.

Rodriguez’s older sister Anika Rodriguez also plays for UCLA and earned All-Pac-12 honors in 2016.

Issy Bellinghausen, Dani Satterwhite and Hannah Sharts round out the class.

Half of the recruits have played for Southern California Blues Soccer Club, with Bellinghausen, Brzykcy, Rodriguez, Sanchez and Satterwhite all former players for its club teams.

Melissa Zhang | Alumna
Zhang joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2015 and contributed until she graduated in 2018. She was an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year and spent time on the women's water polo, women's soccer, women's volleyball, men's volleyball, and cross country beats.