Rivalry, fan support fuel victory over USC for men’s tennis

No. 5 UCLA men’s tennis upset then-No. 6 USC on Friday in its regular season finale in front of an energetic and enthusiastic home crowd, which coach Billy Martin said jazzed everybody up. (Farida Saleh/Daily Bruin)

By TuAnh Dam

Junior Logan Staggs roared and celebrated with UCLA fans after every long rally.

Junior Martin Redlicki encouraged the students behind him to get louder and louder during his tight match on court two.

Against then-No. 6 USC’s men’s tennis (22-5, 5-2 Pac-12), the energy at the Sunset Recreational courts was nothing short of tangible as No. 5 UCLA (18-4, 6-0) rode to a 4-1 win and clinched the Pac-12 regular season title.

“If I have to say something to our team to get them up for a USC match then something’s wrong,” said coach Billy Martin. “Courts one, two, three and four came out fired up.”

Redlicki and Staggs, along with teammates senior Gage Brymer and freshman Evan Zhu, swept the first sets against the Trojans, dropping just 13 of 38 games against their opponents combined.

web.sp.mtennis.nbk.PS.picB.jpg
Junior Martin Redlicki, who won his doubles and singles matches Friday, helped pump up the volume at Sunset Recreational Courts during the Bruins’ victory over the Trojans. (Pinkie Su/Daily Bruin)

Each extended rally, each deft slice and each jaw-dropping winner spurred on the crowd.

But the energy worked both ways – with the fans growing more and more raucous as the match wore on, there were instances where some nerves were noticeable.

With set-point up 8-7 in his first set tie-breaker, Redlicki faltered.

The junior hit two double faults to give USC’s Nick Crystal the advantage and a chance to serve for the set.

However, the Trojans were rattled into an unforced error as the volume picked up in the surroundings, leading Crystal and USC’s assistant coach Kris Kwinta to consult the chair umpire on the changeover.

Brymer was pushed to a third set on court one, and Redlicki needed to hold serve twice to stay in his match. Neither of them let up, nor did the crowd behind them.

Redlicki came through for the Bruins – taking the second set tiebreaker with a down-the-line return before throwing his racket down to celebrate with his teammates.

“This atmosphere – it jazzes anybody up,” Martin said. “Anytime you’re in a sporting event like that, it gives you extra energy. (Redlicki) to me looked like an inspired player out there today.”

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.