CAPS launches new counseling services office for law students

The new satellite Counseling and Psychological Services office in the Hugh & Hazel Darling Law Library will offer services, including drop-in screening services and therapy sessions, to law students. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Pablo Munoz

Law students can now receive counseling at a new office in the UCLA School of Law.

UCLA law school’s Office for Student Affairs and Hugh & Hazel Darling Law Library will house a counseling office operated by Counseling and Psychological Services. The office will hold an open house for students Monday, said dean of UCLA School of Law Jennifer Mnookin in an email to law students.

The satellite CAPS center will offer scheduled appointments, drop-in therapy and screening sessions, support groups and limited follow-up services.

Law students do not need the University of California Student Health Insurance Plan to use the service, according to the email statement.

The program was established to help law students achieve their personal and professional goals, while ensuring students can efficiently learn and practice law, Mnookin said in the email.

The center will be open Monday through Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. for scheduled brief screenings and from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. for drop-in appointments.

“Taking care of ourselves, staying mindful of our mental and emotional well-being and seeking available support resources, when needed, are all critical aspects of being effective law students and legal practitioners,” the statement said.

Pablo Munoz