Women’s tennis defeats Washington and Washington State over weekend

Freshman Ena Shibahara swept both of her singles matches against Washington and Washington State this weekend, dropping only eight games combined. She also teamed with junior Kristin Wiley for doubles wins in both dual matches. (Dayoung Lee/Daily Bruin)

By TuAnh Dam

Two conference matches, two more wins for No. 20 UCLA women’s tennis (10-5, 4-1 Pac-12).

The Bruins nearly swept both the Washington Huskies (14-5, 3-2) and the Washington State Cougars (9-10, 0-5) – 4-1 and 6-1 respectively – to clinch their third and fourth straight victories of the season, dropping just two points in two games.

Wins on courts one and three clinched both doubles points for UCLA.

[Related: Women’s tennis rides doubles success to victory over Oregon]

The No. 22 duo of redshirt freshman Jada Hart and junior Terri Fleming moved to 9-0 in dual play with 6-3 and 6-4 wins at court one to secure the early leads for the Bruins.

Freshman Ena Shibahara and junior Kristin Wiley also went undefeated in doubles, losing just five games in two matches to dispatch the Huskies 6-2 and the Cougars 6-3. The pair upped its doubles record to 5-0 this season, with all matches coming at court three.

[Related: Freshman tennis standout Ena Shibahara follows tennis dream to Westwood]

Shibahara didn’t drop a set in singles either, giving up only eight games over four sets at the top of the lineup.

Fellow newcomers Hart and sophomore Gabby Andrews combined for three singles wins, with Andrews clinching the dual match against Washington with a 7-5, 6-0 sweep on court five Friday.

Sophomore Alaina Miller bounced back from a 6-1, 6-2 loss against the Huskies’ Miki Kobayashi to defeat the Cougars’ Aneta Miksovska 6-3, 7-6 (3) and clinch the dual match for the Bruins.

UCLA will return home for back-to-back dual matches against Colorado and Utah over the weekend. The Bruins will be looking for their fifth and sixth straight wins this season as they start the second half of conference play.

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.