Tuesday, Jan. 18, 2022

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLADance Disassembled: Seeing Beyond the Curtain

UCLA men’s basketball trails Arizona 43-39 at halftime

Freshman guard Lonzo Ball had nine points on 4-of-5 shooting to go along with four assists and three rebounds, but UCLA still trailed Arizona heading into halftime. (Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Derrek Li

TUCSON, Ariz. — Arizona fans at the McKale Center started dancing and rocking before the top-five matchup even started.

No. 5 UCLA (25-3, 12-3 Pac-12) quieted the crowd quickly, stringing together an 11-0 run to take a 17-11 lead over No. 4 Arizona (26-3, 15-1) in the first seven minutes and 20 seconds of the game.

However, in a game of runs, the Wildcats outscored the Bruins 7-0 in the last 1:35 of the half to take a 43-39 lead going into halftime. Arizona’s didn’t take the lead until there were just 48 seconds left, its first lead since five minutes into the game.

Sophomore guard Allonzo Trier scored a game-high 16 points on 6-of-7 shooting to lead the Wildcats, while freshman guard Lonzo Ball put up nine points, four assists and three rebounds in the first half.

Arizona won the rebounding battle 21-15 and held UCLA to just 26.7 percent 3-point shooting on 15 attempts.

A handful of Bruins go into the second half with two fouls: Ball, sophomore guard Aaron Holiday, junior center Thomas Welsh, freshman forward/center Ike Anigbogu and junior forward G.G. Goloman.

Derrek Li | Alumnus
Li joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until he graduated in 2017. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's soccer, track and field, cross country and swim and dive beats.

670 Kelton ave Los Angeles Ca 90024 Mgr#310-209-0006 2 bedroom + two bathroom 3 bedroom+ 3 bathroom Amenities: controlled access, underground parking, thoughtfully designed lush landscaping, dramatic views from wood roof deck, ideal for socializing State of the art gym, pool, wash/dryer in units, private balconies, C/A top of the line stainless steel kitchen appliances, luxe stone countertops, low maintenance faux wood floors Bright with natural sunlight, custom design bathrooms with stone features. Walking distance to UCLA, WESTWOOD village.