Westwood Community Council recap – Jan. 18

By Erica Drake

The Westwood Community Council meets several times a year to discuss issues relevant to the Westwood Village business and residential community.

Discussion

• Janet Turner, field representative and constituent services of Congressman Ted Lieu, said the post office recently improved training for mail carriers and the Enterprise Customer Care system, which helps accurately locate packages. People should see noticeable improvement in their mail delivery, she added.
  • Battalion Chief Armando Hogan, a representative of the Los Angeles Fire Department, said there is an investigation into the emergency response team that took more than 40 minutes to arrive after a 911 call for a car accident on Sepulveda near the 405. Hogan said there was an error that sent emergency responders to a different address but he does not know if the dispatcher who took the call mishandled the situation.
  • Los Angeles City Council Fifth District candidates Jesse Creed and Mark Herd answered questions from the council about how they would improve conditions in Westwood if they were elected. Issues the council raised included how they would improve parking, construction and the city council’s mismanagement of planning development.
  • Jasmine Shamolian, field deputy of city councilmember Paul Koretz, said the city council committed $1.4 billion over the next 30 years to repair sidewalks. She said the mid-block crosswalk on Westwood Boulevard started construction last week and will be completed by the end of February. She said the city planted more than 100 trees in Westwood and will plant surplus trees on Westwood Boulevard from Feb. 9 through Feb. 24.
  • On behalf of Carmen Healy, assistant director of UCLA Government and Community Relations, Chair Steve Sann announced a new Wilshire Express Shuttle stop behind the Hammer Museum that replaced the taxi signs there.
  • Sann said there are ongoing negotiations to allow the residents of Vintage Westwood Horizons to remain there while renovations take place.
Erica Drake