Trial for alleged murderers of UCLA student postponed

District attorney Victor Avila said he will not pursue the death penalty as punishment for Alberto Medina in his trial for murder. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Roberto Luna Jr.

The trial for the two men accused of murdering UCLA student Andrea DelVesco in September 2015 has been pushed until early next year.

Eric Marquez, a former UCLA student, and Alberto Medina, a former Fresno State University student, were arrested last year in connection with DelVesco’s death. DelVesco was found dead in her Roebling Avenue apartment, which had been set on fire.

County prosecutors charged Medina with murder during a robbery, which makes him eligible for punishment under the death penalty, arson and cruelty to animals, because DelVesco’s dog died during the fire. Prosecutors charged Marquez with aiding and abetting murder and burglary.

Marquez’s attorney Steven Cron, Medina’s attorney Debra Werbel and Deputy District Attorney Victor Avila asked judge Mark E. Windham to move the pretrial date to Feb. 28 so they could examine newly obtained evidence, such as cell phone calls. Cron and Werbel said they would also like to privately interview DelVesco’s roommates that were in the apartment the morning she died.

Avila also told Windham the district attorney’s office will not pursue punishing Medina with the death penalty.

Marquez is being held in lieu of $1.1 million bail and Medina without bail.

Marquez and Medina will appear at the Airport Courthouse on Feb. 28 to schedule a specific date for the trial.

Roberto Luna Jr. | News senior staff
Roberto Luna Jr. is currently a senior staffer covering Westwood, crime and transportation. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2015-2016 and a News contributor from 2014-2015.