Sunday, Nov. 28, 2021

Community feedback surveyTracking COVID-19 at UCLACrosstown Clash 2021

UCLA baseball coach chosen as manager of 2017 Collegiate National Team

UCLA coach John Savage was named the manager of the 2017 USA Collegiate National Team on Thursday morning. Savage guided the Bruins to the NCAA championship in 2013. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By TuAnh Dam

UCLA baseball coach John Savage has been named the manager of the 2017 Collegiate National Team as announced by USA Baseball on Thursday.

In 2000, Savage, as an assistant coach with the team, helped it finish 27-3-1 and win a gold medal at Haarlem Baseball Week in the Netherlands.

“It is certainly an honor and a privilege to be named the manager of the Collegiate National Team,” Savage said in a press release Thursday morning. “I am looking forward to hiring a staff and leading USA Baseball to a successful summer, both in terms of player development and success on the field.”

The Santa Clara University graduate, entering his 13th season in Westwood, has led UCLA to a 419-301-1 record since 2005. Savage guided the the program to three College World Series appearances before winning the school’s first NCAA title in baseball in 2013 behind most outstanding player pitcher Adam Plutko.

Eighty-two Bruin student-athletes, including Plutko and the 2011 No. 1 overall pick Trevor Bauer, have been drafted to Major League Baseball under Savage.

“John has led the UCLA program to new heights under his guidance and we are excited to bring his experience and leadership to the head of our national team program,” said Paul Seiler, executive director and CEO of USA Baseball.

Last season, the Bruins struggled with inconsistency and injuries. They finished the season 25-31 and missed the postseason for just the fourth year in the Savage era.

UCLA reeled in the No. 16 recruiting class per Collegiate Baseball, highlighted by West Coast league MVP, first baseman/outfielder Michael Toglia.

Savage and the Bruins will open the season in February with a three-game series against San Jose State.

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.
Help Wanted

Remote Linux System Administrator I need someone to install updates, complete some projects and to be available for emergency issues that come up now and then with my web server/asterisk PBX servers. Experience required: apache/lets encrypt, sendmail/dovecot, asterisk/freePBX, php/mysql, DNS management and configuration of network gateways Reliability, dependability and excellent communication skills are essential. In an emergency I need someone who can respond immediately, trouble shoot and diagnose the problem and fix the issue. Please call 1.805.322.0005