UCLA football looks to salvage subpar season heading into USC game

UCLA and USC clash once again this Saturday for their annual rivalry game. Last year, the Bruins dropped their season finale 40-21 at the Coliseum. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By TuAnh Dam

This time last year, everything was on the line for the UCLA and USC football teams.

On top of bragging rights in the crosstown rivalry, the winner would clinch the Pac-12 South and move onto the championship game against Stanford.

Now, the stakes are different.

After whirlwind seasons, one team is still hanging onto its division-title hopes while the other is trying to salvage an underwhelming season.

The No. 13 Trojans (7-3, 6-2 Pac-12) started off the year with a brutal beatdown at the hands of the No. 1 Alabama Crimson Tide.

But after coach Clay Helton switched out redshirt junior Max Browne for freshman quarterback Sam Darnold, the team has gone on a six-game winning streak including an upset of then-No. 4 Washington.

A win on Saturday and losses by conference foes Colorado and Utah would give USC its second straight division title under Helton.

UCLA on the other hand is playing for pride and a chance to extend their season by getting the six wins necessary for a bowl game.

The Bruins need two more wins, but to get the upset, coach Jim Mora believes his team will need to play a “darn near-perfect game,” starting with keeping a level head on the field.

But it’s a rivalry game, and UCLA is riding its own wave of emotions after breaking through to end their four-game losing streak heading into the crosstown showdown.

“It’s heated,” said senior linebacker Jayon Brown. “It’s everything you wanted when you committed to this school.”

Players like Brown and junior wide receiver Darren Andrews are also playing to avenge last year’s loss when UCLA fell flat 40-21 at the Coliseum.

One big name from last season that won’t be suiting up for the Bruins? Sophomore quarterback Josh Rosen who’s sidelined with a shoulder injury.

Instead it’ll be redshirt senior Mike Fafaul lining up against Darnold.

Fafaul led UCLA to just its second conference win over Oregon State last weekend and keeping its postseason hopes alive.

The quarterback will be looking for his second win as a starter and the team’s first back-to-back win since taking down UNLV and BYU in early September.

No matter how different their seasons have been, the plan for both teams in a rivalry game is simple: win the match-ups at the line scrimmage, win the game.

“I’m going in there, man across the board, and we have to win the match-ups,” Andrews said. “We have to beat man and press coverage and make the plays. Just have to win at the end of the day.”

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.