Women’s basketball continues homestand against Southern University

The Bruins will rely heavily on their size advantage against the Southern University Jaguars. Junior forward Monique Billings can play an even bigger role than normal. At 6-foot-4, Billings is 2 inches taller than any Jaguar. (Jennifer Hu/Daily Bruin staff)

By Ryan Cheong

Only two games into the season, No. 9 UCLA women’s basketball has already shown that it is a team with many identities.

Over the last two weeks, Bruin fans have seen glimpses of the team’s ability to pile on steals from their double-team traps, convert opponent turnovers into points, pour in a string of 3-pointers and pound the glass for rebounds.

UCLA’s exhibition game against the Westmont College Warriors included 14 steals and 23 turnovers that the Bruins were able to covert into 29 points. Against the Pacific Tigers, the Bruins built a 60-32 rebounding advantage en route to their 27-point victory.

An 84-70 loss in the team’s first matchup against a top-10 team in No. 2 Baylor showcased UCLA’s shooting ability in the first half, where they dropped six 3-pointers in the first half on just nine attempts.

The Bruins will be looking to bounce back with a victory back at home against the Southern University Jaguars. The Friday night contest is the team’s first of their homestand, with the Cancun Challenge tournament in between the team’s home contests against Cal Poly (0-2) on Nov. 20 and Hawai’i on Dec. 4.

UCLA has also won 19 straight at home against unranked opponents, including 16 straight at home against unranked nonconference teams.

Against Southern University, whose tallest player stands at 6-foot-2, UCLA will utilize its height and size, looking inside for 6-foot-4 junior forward Monique Billings, who is coming off a double-double against Baylor with 16 points and a team-high 10 rebounds.

Southern University is entering Friday’s contest following a 70-55 road loss against Michigan State on Monday. The Jaguars trailed early after a 13-1 first-quarter run by the Spartans before narrowing their opponent’s lead to single digits later in the fourth. However, the 56-33 rebounding deficit was too much to overcome, with not a single Jaguar recording more than six rebounds in the game.

Coach Cori Close has repeatedly cited her team’s focus and intensity as an area of improvement, mentioning how lapses on one side of the court can have a toll on their execution on the other side.

“I don’t think we can say we’re ‘young’ anymore. That class (of Billings, Canada, and Hayes), they’re the bulk of our team right now,” Close said of her team’s age and maturity. “That’s an excuse for us.”

Friday’s matchup should also feature a guard matchup between UCLA junior Jordin Canada and Southern senior Cortnei Purnell. Southern coach Sandy Pugh has been known to play Purnell, standing at 6 feet, as a forward too.

Despite the height disadvantage, Canada has been able to utilize her athleticism against her opponents even in the frontcourt, gathering 12 rebounds, including six on the offensive glass against Pacific in the season-opener.

“From last year to this year, I’ve been focusing on my IQ, playing with my guards, reading screens and my defenders and just getting simple shots. Just making the game simple for me,” Canada said. Canada scored a team-high 23 points against Baylor, fighting to keep her team alive during her team’s scoring droughts in the second half.

The Bruins have deployed a variety of defenses against opponents both in the half- and full-court setting. In previous matches, the team has alternated between man-to-man and zone in the half-court. But, against Southern, which has only scored a season-high 22 points in the second quarter of against Spring Hill College and struggled to record more than three triples a game thus far, Close could continue to launch various formations against the Jaguars.

Following the contest against the Jaguars, the Bruins will play host to the Cal Poly Mustangs, who will look for their first win in their home opener Friday, Nov. 18 against the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks. Meanwhile, the Bruins will look to improve on their 15-1 home record from the previous season.

“I really love this team. I love that they are willing to challenge. They are really willing to be coached,” Close said. “So I know they are going to grow from every circumstance. We’re not even close to our potential and I really think this is going to be a team that continues their trajectory.”

Ryan Cheong | Alumnus
Cheong joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2016 and contributed until 2017. He spent time on the women's basketball and women's soccer beats.