USAC recap – Nov. 15

By Raevyn Walker

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings usually take place every week Tuesdays at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a live stream of the meeting on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Agenda

• The council approved an allocation of $380 to the Contingency Programming Fund.

• Divya Sharma, transfer student representative, encouraged the board to approve a weekly ad-hoc committee to discuss USAC reform, which would involve both USAC and non-USAC members. Sharma said he thinks this committee would allow USAC to receive outside perspectives on needed changes for the council, which could result in a change to USAC’s constitution. Some council members questioned the exact goal of the committee and Sharma said the goal would be determined at the first meeting. The council approved to start the committee with an 11-0 vote.

• The council voted unanimously to table the approval for the Office Space Allocation Committee application, a form student groups can use to register for office space on campus. The agenda item was tabled because the OSAC chair was not present at the meeting.

Officer reports

• USAC President Danny Siegel said he had a phone conversation with a student representative from USC. They talked about the differences and similarities between student reactions to the presidential election on their respective campuses, he said.

• Internal Vice President Sabrina Zeigler confirmed the USAC finals study hall is scheduled for Dec. 4, the Sunday before finals week.

• External Vice President Rafi Sands said he is organizing a FundUC campaign to combat the UC’s proposed undergraduate tuition increases. He added he will help start an Activate the Activism campaign to inform students about ways to voice their opinions after the past presidential election. Sands also said he is working with campus officials to help make the UC a sanctuary campus for undocumented individuals. He said that Los Angeles is a sanctuary city, but the same provisions are not included on the UCLA campus.

• Student Wellness Commissioner Christina Lee said her commission will be providing free flu packets for students during flu season.

• Campus Events Commissioner Jordan Dang said CEC will be hosting a preview of the movie “Jackie,” starring Natalie Portman, on Nov. 30.

Announcements

• Sharma invited interested council members to sign up to help organize the Day of Silence on April 16. On the Day of Silence, individuals do not speak for 24 hours to stand in solidarity with people unheard in the LGBTQ community.

• Academic Affairs Commissioner Ashly Mohankumar said there will be a community healing space on Nov. 17.
Raevyn Walker