Submission: UCLA must hold on to True Bruin values in light of recent election

By Francesco Arreaga

In response to the result of the 2016 presidential election and the outspoken reactions from the community, the Daily Bruin is running a series of submissions from readers. Click here to read more.

Presidential elections are an emotional roller coaster, and this one was like no other.

Many people on our campus are still trying to make sense of everything that has happened in our political system – we have seen hundreds of students marching through our campus, channeling their frustration and making their voices heard.

No matter your political beliefs, now is the time to be united. We must always be united against hate, discrimination, bigotry and sexism. We must also be united promoting the five True Bruin values because they are not just Bruin values – they’re American values. In fact, they are human values: integrity, excellence, accountability, respect and service.

We must ensure that we always respect every member of our community, so everyone can feel welcome and safe. We must behave with integrity so that we foster trust within our community. We must strive for excellence in our academic lives so that we can one day be leaders who protect the most vulnerable in our society. We must dedicate some time to conduct public service activities to assist those who are in need of a helping hand. Most importantly, we must hold ourselves and others accountable for their actions. We may still be college students, but we have the power to demand responsibility from those in authority through our voices and votes.

Let us follow the words of Martin Luther King Jr. as we seek to make our voices heard: “Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence.”

During challenging times, we must take note of King’s words and show the country what it means to live by True Bruin values. We are the future teachers, doctors, lawyers, policy makers, researchers, statisticians, writers and leaders of our country. Let us never lose sight of the fact that so long as we are alive and healthy we have the power to right what is wrong and to provide a voice to the voiceless.

The motto of the University of California seal states: “Let there be light.” The light will always prevail against the darkness so long as we stand together because we are stronger together. Never give up hope and never forget that we are optimists. We do not give in to fear; we never back down from a challenge and we always stand up for our True Bruin Values.

Arreaga is a fourth-year political science and Chinese student.

Francesco Arreaga