Precincts in Westwood voted largely in favor of Clinton, Props 64, 67

Student voters on the Hill supported Hillary Clinton and propositions to legalize marijuana more strongly compared to other Westwood residents. (Stella Huang/Daily Bruin)

By Ryan Leou

Preliminary election results for Westwood precincts near UCLA showed high support for Hillary Clinton, legalization of marijuana and the ban on plastic bags.

The results, reported by the Los Angeles Times, confirmed polls that showed Clinton had a lead among young people. Precincts with higher student populations voted slightly more in favor of Clinton than Westwood as a whole.

Voters on the Hill picked Clinton over president-elect Donald Trump by 88 percent to 6 percent. For precincts in the North Village, bounded by Gayley Avenue, Veteran Avenue, Strathmore Drive and Levering Avenue, support for Clinton was about 86 percent.

However, Clinton’s vote share dipped to about 75 percent in Westwood south of Wilshire Boulevard and east of Hilgard Avenue.

[Read more: Bruins react to election with protest, on the streets and social media]

Westwood residents also voted largely in favor of legalizing recreational marijuana, repealing the death penalty and banning plastic bags, though slightly higher proportions of voters on the Hill and the North Village supported these measures than Westwood residents as a whole.

Proposition 64, which legalizes recreational marijuana, and Proposition 67, which maintains a ban on single-use plastic bags, both passed, according to vote totals from the California Secretary of State’s office. California voters rejected Proposition 62, which would have repealed the death penalty.

About 80 percent of Westwood voters said yes to Proposition 64 and about 75 percent said yes to Proposition 67. Degrees of support varied around the neighborhood for Proposition 62; some precincts voted in favor of the proposition by about 80 percent and others by about 60 percent.

The Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk has tallied absentee votes received before Monday and those cast on election night. The registrar expects to finish counting all remaining votes-by-mail, provisional and damaged ballots and certify election results by Dec. 2.

Ryan Leou | Assistant News Editor