Westwood Neighborhood Council recap – Nov. 9

By Jacob Preal

The Westwood Neighborhood Council meets monthly to discuss issues pertaining to Westwood Village and the surrounding areas.

Comments by public officials

• Jasmine Shamolian, a field representative for Councilman Paul Koretz, said she is working on a project that would plant trees on Westwood Boulevard after several trees were illegally cut down throughout Westwood. She said the city could transplant from a surplus of trees located near the neighborhood.

• Megan Furey, marketing and communications manager for the Westwood Village Improvement Association, said the association finished installing tree lighting. She added the lighting will extend into the area near Broxton Avenue if property owners provide electricity.

Discussion

• Treasurer Laura Winikow announced the city allocated an additional $5,000 to the council, which the council voted to direct to neighborhood purpose grants. Community members can apply for the grants to fund community improvement projects or events. Herb Wesson, Los Angeles City Councilmember, helped bring the funds to the council.

• Vice President Sandy Brown proposed Westwood voters use a single ballot each in council elections, rather than the multiple ballots used in previous years. Voters would use one ballot to select a single representative for at-large, renter and business seats. The motion passed unanimously.

• Nonprofit director Ann Hayman initiated a conversation about access to alcohol in Westwood Village and how it impacts residents. She said Stanford University students, for example, have restricted access to hard liquor, but beer and wine are easy to obtain. The council wants to continue conversation about the role it should play with students and others that consume alcohol in the Village.

Motions

• The council unanimously voted to support D1 Restaurant’s alcohol permit, with the condition that alcohol will be served from 10 a.m. to midnight on weekends and from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. during the week. Steve Sann, Westwood Community Council chair, spoke on behalf of Connie Boukidis, chair of the Land Use and Planning Committee, who was absent from the meeting.

• Brown introduced a change to the council’s by-laws that would extend councilmembers’ two-year terms to four years. The council approved the measure in a split vote. Dissenting councilmembers voted to keep the two-year term because most UCLA student council members join as second or third years and cannot stay for a four-year term.

Jacob Preal | Editor in chief
Preal is the editor in chief of The Bruin. He was previously the assistant news editor for the city and crime beat and a news reporter for the city and crime beat.