Sunday, May 19, 2024

The Quad: Discover LA hotspots outside of the LACMA lights

(Sahel Fattahi/Daily Bruin)

By Sahel Fattahi

As a Los Angeles native, I am tired of watching people cover the same, basic sightseeing stops over and over again. Being a tourist in a new city can be exhilarating, but if you want to truly discover LA, make an effort to see it in its entirety.

I hit the town to ensure that you can avoid the basic LA sightseeing funk. Here are five spots in LA I genuinely believe are worth the view.

First Fridays on Abbot Kinney

Are you a fan of food, shopping and art? Look no further. Located in the heart of art-centric Venice, Abbot Kinney Boulevard puts on a superb night every first Friday of the month. Food trucks, such as Dogtown Dogs, the Grilled Cheese truck and the Kogi BBQ taco truck, swarm the street from left to right. In addition, select shops remain open late and select restaurants host a happy hour for the duration of the event.

web.quad.LA.Sahel.Fattahi.PicC.jpg
(Sahel Fattahi/Daily Bruin)

The event begins around 6 p.m. and ends around 10 p.m. If you have been looking for a night of entertainment outside of UCLA, the next First Friday on Abbot Kinney will be held on Dec. 2.

Location: All along Abbot Kinney Boulevard off of Venice Boulevard

Electric Dusk Drive-In movie theater

Have you ever dreamed of going on a date at a drive-in movie theater, à la Eric and Donna from “That ’70s Show”? Surprisingly enough, they still exist. Sitting on the Van de Kamp college campus in Glassell Park is a little drive-in movie theater. Although considered a drive-in movie theater, a car is not necessary to attend a movie showing. Electric Dusk Drive-In sells tickets for front lawn seating at $12 per ticket, as well as drive-in seating for only two dollars more.

web.quad.LA.Courtesy.PicE.jpg
(Courtesy of @eri_electric via Instagram)

Electric Dusk shows a movie every Saturday night, so if you feel like ditching that Sigma Alpha Epsilon party, check out their schedule and have a romantic night out with your significant other instead. The next showing is “E.T.” on Nov. 12 for all you baby Drew Barrymore fans out there. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. and the movie starts at 6:30 p.m.

Location: 2930 Fletcher Drive, Los Angeles, CA. 90065

Abandoned Zoo or Old LA Zoo

The Old LA Zoo, also known as the Abandoned Zoo, is located in Griffith Park off of the 5 freeway. The Abandoned Zoo is what remains of the original LA Zoo, which changed locations in 1966. While there, hike through old animal cages and discover some of LA’s finest graffiti while freely exploring a historical landmark of LA.

web.quad.LA.Sahel.Fattahi.PicF.jpg
(Sahel Fattahi/Daily Bruin)

The recent addition of picnic benches has made this a prime spot to arrange an outdoor get-together with friends or family. The Old LA Zoo is open every day, from 5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Location: 4801 Griffith Park Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90027

Time Travel Mart

Located in both Mar Vista and Echo Park, the Time Travel Mart takes you on a trek into the past by providing you with archaic and hard-to-find fetishes. Whether you are looking for a conquistador helmet or a fresh dinosaur egg, this place has got it all. If you’re not interested in making a purchase, this store is frankly just a good place to window shop and have a good chuckle. On top of that, all proceeds from the stores help in supporting the free programs at 826LA, a non-profit organization committed to supporting students from 6 to 18 years old with their writing skills.

web.quad.LA.Sahel.Fattahi.PicB.jpg
(Sahel Fattahi/Daily Bruin)

The Echo Park location is open everyday from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Location: 1714 W Sunset Boulevard, Echo Park, CA 90026

The Mar Vista location is open everyday, except Mondays, from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Location: 12515 Venice Blvd, Mar Vista, CA. 90066

The Sunken City

In 1929, a landslide caused the ground to shift little by little until the San Pedro Cliffs, including a hodgepodge of houses built along it, plummeted into the ocean. This area is now considered a popular hiking spot: foundations of houses, empty streets and abandoned streetcar tracks trail all along the path. As spartan as it may seem, it is truly a sight worth seeing. Every inch of the ruins is camouflaged in stunning graffiti art.

web.quad.LA.Sahel.Fattahi.PicD.jpg
(Sahel Fattahi/Daily Bruin)

In case you do decide to check out this view, there are a couple things to keep in mind:

• It is a “no trespassing” zone, therefore, you must sneak in through the gates to enter (It is not as difficult or eerie as it seems).

• It is a steep and slippery hike, so be sure to wear a pair of comfortable shoes.

Location: 500 Paseo Del Mar, San Pedro, CA. 90731

Obviously, transportation may be a worry for those of you who do not have a car. Luckily, there are plenty of bus stops located all around Westwood Village; the buses can take you to and from these places for less than $5. Additionally, Uber and Lyft are always options that are more expensive than taking the bus, but will get you to your destination in no time.

If you want to show your friends back home how much of a blast you are having in LA, I would highly suggest staying away from predictable Instagram posts in front of the LACMA lights and the Beverly Hills sign. Show them just how breathtaking LA is through these hidden gems.

Sahel Fattahi
Sahel Fattahi is a Daily Bruin Quad contributor. She enjoys writing about the world around UCLA, whether it be the hidden treasures in LA or just fun, random facts to know.