Exit polling shows strong support for Clinton from UCLA community

By Ryan Leou

Voters around UCLA voted strongly in favor of Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, according to exit polling by the Daily Bruin.

The Bruin interviewed people leaving six different polling places on campus and in Westwood Village throughout the day.

Of the 100 people surveyed, about 90 percent said they voted for Clinton and 5 percent voted for Donald Trump. Others either voted for Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson or not at all.

Experience was the most important quality voters valued in a president for about half of all people surveyed. Clinton voters said they valued the qualities of experience and moral judgment, while Donald Trump supporters said they valued trustworthiness and honesty.

Strength of support for both candidates was mixed. Trump supporters either strongly supported their candidate or only supported him slightly more than other candidates. About 40 percent of Clinton supporters said they moderately support her, and about 30 percent said they strongly support her.

Voters also differed on what issues they cared about most. Trump supporters said they valued the economy and job creation, and Clinton supporters said they valued the economy, education and national security.

Those surveyed who voted for the United States Senate seat chose Attorney General Kamala Harris over Rep. Loretta Sanchez by about a two to one margin.

Proposition 62, which would repeal the death penalty in the state, garnered about 60 percent support of those surveyed, while 30 percent said they voted no and 10 percent said they did not vote for the proposition or could not remember whether they voted for it or not.

Voters also favored the legalization of marijuana (Proposition 64), stricter gun and ammunition controls (Proposition 63) and a sales tax increase to fund public transit in Los Angeles County (Measure M).

Official results for ballot propositions and state races are expected in the next few hours. As of 8 p.m. Pacific Standard Time, Trump is leading Clinton in the electoral college 201 to 197.

Ryan Leou | Assistant News Editor