UCLA alumna announced as dean for School of Nursing

UCLA officials announced Monday interim dean Linda Sarna will continue as the permanent dean of the UCLA School of Nursing. (UCLA Newsroom)

By Sharon Zhen

UCLA officials announced the seventh dean for the UCLA School of Nursing on Monday.

Linda Sarna, a research professor and interim dean at the nursing school, will assume the position on Nov. 15, according to a statement from UCLA Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Scott Waugh. Sarna was named acting dean while the previous dean was on leave in July 2014, and has been interim dean since last March.

Sarna will be the first UCLA alumna to serve as the nursing school’s dean.

Sarna has done research in fields of oncology nursing and tobacco control, according to her faculty page. After she saw the effects of tobacco on cancer patients in the 1970s, Sarna became dedicated to helping nurses quit smoking and promoting their role in tobacco control. Sarna has also led research on smoking trends among subjects and health care professional.

Sarna is recognized for her international role in tobacco control. For example, she collaborated with nursing organizations around the world and has led tobacco education programs for nurses in China and Eastern Europe.

Sarna also was part of the committee on the UCLA tobacco-free initiative, the campaign in 2013 that made UCLA a tobacco-free campus.

Sarna will succeed Courtney Lyder, who served from 2008 to 2014, Waugh said in his announcement.

Sharon Zhen
Zhen is an assistant news editor for the national and higher education beat. She was previously a contributor for the campus politics beat and an online contributor.