Women’s volleyball set up for Arizona, Arizona State matches

Ryann Chandler said that the Bruins have stuck with their simple offense. Even though the offense isn’t very fancy, the redshirt junior said that when their passing is on, UCLA’s attack is hard to stop. (Erin Gong/Daily Bruin)

By Kelsey Angus

The UCLA women’s volleyball team has made its return to the top 10 for the first time since the beginning of conference play.

The No. 9 Bruins (18-4, 9-3 Pac-12), also hold a share of the lead in the Pac-12 standing with No. 8 Washington and will face unranked Arizona (15-10, 7-6) and Arizona State (9-15, 2-10) on the road this weekend.

The Bruins have won six straight games, including three against ranked opponents, but the last team they lost to was the Wildcats. The Bruins hit only .149 in the final three sets on their way to blowing a 2-0 lead.

This time around, UCLA will be looking to avoid its first season sweep by Arizona since 2011.

“U of A will be a nice battle since we did go to five with them and it was a tough loss,” said redshirt junior setter Ryann Chandler. “They’re really scrappy – their defense is amazing – so I think that game will be a really big game for us.”

In Arizona’s past three matches, they have beaten No. 20 Oregon and No. 25 USC, but fallen against Oregon State, the bottom-ranked team in the Pac-12.

The Wildcats, on the other hand, share the bottom spot in the Pac-12 with the Beavers. The Sun Devils haven’t beaten a ranked team since before the beginning of conference play.

When the UCLA last faced Arizona State, the Bruins held the Sun Devils at a .073 hitting percentage in a three-set sweep.

Since this last match, however, Arizona State has switched from a 6-2 to a 5-1, so either rotation could appear Saturday.

“We’re prepared for either one that we face. There’s different things we can do scheming-wise,” said coach Michael Sealy. “We definitely want a game plan in place for whichever one shows up.”

The second half of Pac-12 play is in full swing, and senior middle blocker Claire Felix said that the most important thing for this team is to focus on the matches ahead.

“There’s a lot of things happening in polls,” Felix said. “The biggest and best thing we can do is distance ourselves from that. We have to have the same mentality no matter what our ranking is, or no matter where we fall.”

Kelsey Angus | Alumna
Angus joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2016 and contributed until she graduated in 2018. She was an assistant Sports editor for the 2017-2018 academic year and spent time on the men's volleyball, women's volleyball, gymnastics, women's water polo and swim and dive beats.