The Quad: Realities of being in an isolation tank like Eleven from ‘Stranger Things’

(Namir Khaliq/Daily Bruin)

By Sahel Fattahi

In Cold War-era “Stranger Things,” we see Eleven, a girl with psychokinetic abilities, in an isolation tank as Dr. Martin Brenner prepares to have her attempt to intercept communication with Russian officials. However, she inadvertently contacts interdimensional entities instead. While in the tank, Eleven may be terrified, but you shouldn’t be – in real life, isolation tanks are used to imbue the user with a sense of weightlessness and relaxation.

Isolation tanks, also known as sensory deprivation tanks, are light-deprived and sound-resistant tanks filled with Epsom salt water at skin temperature. While users float on their backs in purified salt water, they experience the sensation of sensory deprivation, or near-complete deprivation of environmental stimuli. Isolation tanks were first used in 1954 by John Cunningham Lilly to study the brain’s reaction when denied “external stimulation” in order to conduct research on the nature of consciousness.

Strange as they may seem, isolation tanks are not uncommon around Los Angeles. In fact, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art currently features the isolation tank-like exhibit “Light Reignfall” by James Turrell, an artist whose work toys with both light and sensory deprivation. Additionally, since 1999, the company Float Lab has also provided what LA Weekly deems LA’s best isolation tank on the Venice boardwalk.

Now, those behind Float Lab in Venice have opened a second location in Westwood, only a short walk away from campus. For only $40, Float Lab offers two hours of floating freely in an isolation tank, which also includes your own private room, shower and amenities. So, if you’re feeling stressed out and happen to have a spare $40 in your pocket, why not spend it on two hours of pure relaxation?

If you’re too chicken to check it out yourself, or fear you’ll open a hole into the Upside Down, watch Daily Bruin’s video exploring the ins and outs of the eight brand new isolation tanks in Westwood.

Sahel Fattahi
Sahel Fattahi is a Daily Bruin Quad contributor. She enjoys writing about the world around UCLA, whether it be the hidden treasures in LA or just fun, random facts to know.