Aaron Julian: In order to save itself, the GOP must abandon Reaganism

By Aaron Julian

The GOP is currently in a tailspin, caught between the forces of the radical right, the more moderate establishment and the rapidly changing demographics of the United States. The “alt-right” has taken the party by storm and ushered in its protest candidate, Donald Trump, to the nomination. The rest of the GOP is currently searching for its identity among this political landscape. Where they should not find it is with Reagan-inspired conservatism.

The leaders of the modern GOP have spent the first part of the 21st century in a competition to see who most closely resembles the reincarnation of the 40th President of the United States. Likewise, they support his policies and ideology, which include anti-federal government, anti-workers union, anti-academia, pro-military action and growth views, as well as applying fundamentalist religious values to policy.

But Ronald Reagan is not the ideal standard bearer the Republican Party thinks he is. In fact, his policies have had long-term negative effects. With the memory of his excellent oratory skills and sweeping propaganda from every established Republican, these policies have failed to wash away. Our generation can and must spring forth an era of socially and scientifically conscious economic conservatives for the benefit of a balanced and educated political dialogue.

Reagan had significant failures when it came to public health, the first being his poignant inaction as the AIDS epidemic swept through the nation, killing thousands of the American populace – something that would enact immediate action in any other circumstance. However, as the population most dramatically affected by this epidemic was the LGBTQ community, the Reagan administration instead sat by for years without any significant concern. As a result, the epidemic spread to every corner of this country and the cost in human lives is still felt today. The modern GOP also continues such anti-LGBTQ views by continuing to oppose same-sex marriage, supporting individuals for refusing service to the gay community and even juxtaposing homosexual acts with bestiality.

Reagan also dramatically altered adolescent health when he cut $1.46 billion from the child nutrition budget that public schools used to provide healthy in-house lunches. Now a majority of cafeteria options are reheated processed foods such as pizza and french fries – both oddly considered vegetables nonetheless. In fact, Reagan, in a radio broadcast, mocked the idea of healthy lunches for schoolchildren. And his mockery has resulted in a system that now costs the U.S. populace tens of billions of dollars annually and continually drives up the costs of healthcare. In 1980, there were zero reported cases of type-two diabetes in adolescents, but that number in 2010 is 57,638.

Reagan was no better when it came to law enforcement. He intensified the War on Drugs and passed the Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1986, which ended up incarcerating young, black Americans around 88 percent of the time. By 1995, one in three black men in their twenties were under some form of criminal justice control. With such stark mistreatment, it is a wonder how anyone can act surprised by the riots in Ferguson and Baltimore.

Reagan was also central in the mobilization of the “religious right” as a dominant force in the political sphere by emphasizing religion and framing the First Amendment as protecting Christian morals from government tyranny. As a result, the Republican Party is now deeply entangled with heavy fundamentalist Christian influence, including the notion that global warming is a fabrication, with prominent Republicans referring to Christian scripture instead of scientific consensus.

Even his famous “Reaganomics” failed to achieve its goal of balancing the federal budget. Instead, he oversaw massive growth to the military-industrial complex and criminal justice system, and left behind a legacy of large deficits that has been followed almost every term since. He neglected the LGBTQ community and passed policies that resulted in the systematic targeting of the black community. The ripples of his legacy are still felt to this day, and it’s clear he should not be defended by any public official.

But at this moment in the history, the Republican Party has the unique opportunity to reform itself in a different image. On all levels of government, the establishment GOP is being squeezed out by opponents to their political right.

With Trump belittling the name of the Grand Old Party, the remaining Republicans can forsake their nominee entirely to gain the moral high ground and establish a new party that is inclusive and practices responsible budget policy.

This would include abandoning the anti-women rhetoric as witnessed by Trump and Congressman Todd Akin, anti-science as embodied by Senator James Inhofe, the chairman of the Environment and Public Works Committee, and the anti-Geneva Convention speech spouted by Ted Cruz. Furthermore, responsible budgeting includes not threatening to cut the EPA, the Department of Education, Commerce or Energy.

It is unfair to rope in economic conservatism with a history of policies that are socially exclusionary and morally bankrupt. The Bruin Republicans have not endorsed a candidate this year, and they can take the lead locally in forming this new coalition by teaming up with other UC Republican clubs and formally denouncing Trumpism. Next, they can work within their communities to dispel the outdated ideals that have been clouding their ability to effectively lead and reach all voters. The Republicans consistently receive high approval over economic policy, but they keep losing themselves among battles against the changing demographics of American society.

The new conservative party should be one that focuses exclusively on matters of fiscal conservatism and edges away from the divisive social policies that focus on fundamental religious conservatism. The DNC’s actions during the primaries and its current, historically unpopular nominee leaves the GOP with a chance to build a dominant political coalition, but first it must let go of its past to leave room for any future.

Aaron Julian | Alumnus
Julian was an Opinion columnist.
Julian was an Opinion columnist.