Monday, January 27

No Offense, But: Slacktivism and Trick-or-Treating

This week, the Daily Bruin’s official Opinion podcast is joined by seasoned columnists Aaron Julian and Kristina Iliopoulos, and we tackle some of the most pressing issues facing college students: Facebook activism and trick-or-treating. So strap on your seat belts and hold on tight as you join Opinion editor Chris Campbell and assistant Opinion editor Keshav Tadimeti for the spookiest podcast yet – just in time for Halloween.

Chris Campbell
Senior staff columnist

Tadimeti was the Daily Bruin's Opinion editor from 2017-2019 and an assistant Opinion editor in the 2016-2017 school year. He tends to write about issues pertaining to the higher education, state politics and the administration, and blogs occasionally about computer science. Tadimeti was also the executive producer of the "No Offense, But" and "In the Know" Daily Bruin Opinion podcasts.

Kristina Iliopoulos
Alumnus

Julian was an Opinion columnist.

• Drew

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Slacktivism. But I believe that the term has already been busted by various activists, scholars, professors, and journalists. Amongst activists and scholars, slacktivism is more commonly seen as not a “lazy” approach to activism but a new approach to activism. If slacktivism doesn’t make a cause go backward, then I think it is a positive contribution. Slacktivism is more of a reflection of our relationship with media and technology in modern day, not the personal concerns of individuals.