UCLA ranked No. 10 global university, No. 2 U.S. public university

UCLA was ranked 10th best global university in new rankings released by U.S. News and World Report on Tuesday. (Jintak Han/Assistant photo editor)

By Maya McNealis

UCLA was ranked the 10th best university in the world and the second best American public university in a 2017 global university ranking Tuesday.

The university dropped two ranks since last year’s U.S. News and World Report global rankings.

The report ranked four of UCLA’s departments in the top 10 globally, including the psychiatry and psychology department fifth, the chemistry department seventh and the mathematics department eighth.

[Related: UCLA ties for No. 24 spot on U.S. News and World Report Ranking]

U.S. News and World Report used 12 indicators to determine the rankings for its third annual report. UCLA scored highly on global research reputation and number of papers that are among the top 1 percent most cited, among other metrics.

The report evaluated the national and international reputation of an additional 250 schools, compared to last year. It also gathered data from Clarivate Analytics’ Academic Reputation Survey and Web of Science to create a meta-analysis of the top 1,000 universities in 65 countries.

Harvard University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Stanford University placed first, second and third, respectively, in the global rankings. The University of California, Berkeley ranked fourth, and UC San Diego ranked fifteenth.

Maya McNealis