New dog park in Westwood to replace existing Barrington location

Los Angeles city officials announced they would close the dog park at Barrington park and open another one at the Westwood Recreation Center. (Miriam Bribiesca/Photo editor)

By Madeleine Pauker

The city plans to open a dog park at a Westwood recreation center near Santa Monica Boulevard.

The dog park will replace playground equipment near Veteran Avenue at the Westwood Recreation Center, said Jasmine Shamolian, a field deputy for Los Angeles City Councilmember Paul Koretz. Officials are building the dog park to replace the one at Barrington Recreation Center, which will close to make space for a Veterans Affairs park.

Shamolian said the City of Los Angeles selected the Westwood Recreation Center to build the park because it is close to Barrington and has enough space. The recreation center includes two children’s play areas, sports fields and a community center.

[Related: Westwood Neighborhood Council recap – Oct. 17]

Some Westwood residents who use the recreation center said they think a dog park could be a good use of the space.

Sanya Vujan, who takes her 2-year-old daughter to the park, said she understands why the city would replace one of the play areas, but would be disappointed to lose the one the dog park will replace.

“(The play area the dog park will replace) is better for younger kids, but (the other) one is better for older kids,” Vujan said. “It’s more dynamic to have two play structures.”

Sonia Lopez, whose child uses the other play area, said the structure the dog park will replace does not have enough shade for children.

“Dogs would use the space better,” Lopez said.

Shamolian said the city will hold a community meeting in January and present more detailed plans and designs for the dog park.

Contributing reports from David Yaghutiel, Daily Bruin contributor.

Madeleine Pauker | Managing editor
Pauker was the managing editor from 2017-2018. She was previously an assistant news editor for the City beat and a reporter for the City beat.