UCLA football trails Utah 27-21 at halftime

Mike Fafaul helped the Bruins bounce back from a 14-0 hole with three straight touchdowns, but the redshirt senior quarterback threw two interceptions and fumbled once to keep the Utes in the game.(Hannah Ye/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Derrek Li

No Rosen, no problem.

Redshirt senior Mike Fafaul started for the second consecutive game and was able to lead UCLA to three touchdowns in the first half against Utah.

But the Bruin defense that has been so stout all season began showing cracks.

In between some dominant play, UCLA gave up big plays that led to 27 Utah points.

The game started off as bad as it could have for the Bruins, with the opening kickoff returned for 99 yards and a touchdown. The Utes then marched down the field the next time they touched the ball to jump out to a quick 14-0 lead less than four minutes into the game.

That’s when Fafaul and the offense took over, scoring three touchdowns in a little more than five minutes to bring UCLA back into the game.

While senior defensive lineman Takkarist McKinley got to Utah’s quarterback Troy Williams time after time, the Utes’ running back Joe Williams ran wild for 113 yards and two touchdowns.

Derrek Li | Alumnus
Li joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until he graduated in 2017. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's soccer, track and field, cross country and swim and dive beats.