Westwood BID recap – Oct. 20

By Madeleine Pauker

The Westwood Village Improvement Association is a nonprofit organization tasked with improving the state of Westwood Village. Property and business owners created the association in 2011 to provide Westwood Village with functions the city of Los Angeles could not provide. Its board of directors meets monthly.

• Executive Director Andrew Thomas said the association installed tree lighting in the Village.

• Jim Brooks said the clean, safe and beautiful committee discussed the city’s plan to use one trash hauler for Westwood Village, creating a pedestrian plaza on Broxton Avenue and a new mid-street crosswalk.

• Denise Garcia said the business attraction and retention committee discussed expanding Westwood’s farmers market and the ad hoc committee that will give input on the Village’s specific plan.

• The board approved a three-year contract for Block by Block, a company that contracts the Westwood Ambassador program. The contract will begin in January 2017.

• The board approved a change to its financial policy to allow members to write checks up to $1,500 instead of $1,000, the former limit, because the association’s rent is $1,500.

Madeleine Pauker | Managing editor
Pauker was the managing editor from 2017-2018. She was previously an assistant news editor for the City beat and a reporter for the City beat.