Two Westwood Neighborhood Council members resign, leave open seats

Ian Cocroft was one of two UCLA alumni to resign from his position on the Westwood Neighborhood Council. Cocroft moved to Washington D.C. to take up a job with the Democratic National Committee. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Madeleine Pauker

Two members of the Westwood Neighborhood Council recently resigned after moving away from Los Angeles.

Eugene Tseng, a rental residential group director, resigned Sep. 23 to serve in the Taiwanese military, said WWNC President Lisa Chapman. Ian Cocroft, also a rental residential group director, resigned Oct. 11 to work at the Democratic National Committee in Washington, D.C.

Both councilmembers were recent UCLA alumni. Tseng was elected in 2014 and Cocroft in 2016. Both were elected the same year they graduated from UCLA.

[Column: Students should run for Westwood Neighborhood Council positions]

Chapman said Tseng joined the military because he plans to run for office in Taiwan, and serving in the military is required for candidates. She added Tseng chose to serve now so he could attend graduate school at Columbia University next year.

Tseng’s platform for the 2016 WWNC elections included plans to properly tax short-term rentals, such as Airbnb. He also represented state Sen. Ben Allen’s office.

Tseng could not be reached for comment.

Cocroft said he accepted the DNC position to bring his passion for public service to the national level. He added he worked to ensure student voices were heard in WWNC discussions.

“Every student should be aware of the important role the (council) plays in many aspects of life in Westwood, from lighting in the North Village to the establishment of new businesses in the neighborhood,” Cocroft said.

After the council advertises the vacant seats for 60 days, new rental residential group director candidates will hold a meeting in January, where the board will select new councilmembers after candidates present their platforms, Chapman said. Candidates must be renting apartments within the council’s boundaries, which are between Sunset, Santa Monica, Beverly Glen and Sepulveda boulevards.

Chapman added students who rent apartments in Westwood expressed interest in running for the vacant seats. The council moved the meeting to January from December because many students leave Westwood in December.

“We hope there will be lots of UCLA students who apply,” she said. “We will have the members of our board who have close affiliations with UCLA advertise around campus.”

Contributing reports by Eric Bazak, Daily Bruin contributor.

Madeleine Pauker | Managing editor
Pauker was the managing editor from 2017-2018. She was previously an assistant news editor for the City beat and a reporter for the City beat.