Women’s soccer defense grapples with maintaining possession, set pieces

Junior defender MacKenzie Cerda takes a shot against Stanford goalkeeper Jane Campbell. The Bruins fell 3-2 in overtime against the Cardinal after failing to limit the No.1 team’s corner kicks and counter attacks. Two of Stanford’s goals on Sunday came on corners. Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Kyle Cardoza

Sturdy, resilient and swift.

Through the first 10 games this season, the UCLA women’s soccer team showcased these traits on its defensive end of the pitch. In the past three games, however, the Bruins have struggled to maintain prowess in their own third.

Before its 3-2 victory over Oregon, UCLA allowed just eight goals in 10 games. But matches against top-tier teams like No. 14 California and No. 1 Stanford momentarily challenged the consistently rigid defense and unraveled the team’s lockdown system.

[Related: Women’s soccer falls to Cardinal in double overtime]

“(We need to have) just a bit more discipline on set plays – not giving up goals and ruin our momentum or ruin our confidence,” said freshman midfielder Jessie Fleming.

The Bruins have improved significantly since last season on defense, as the back line has proven what it’s capable of. In 13 games this season, No. 10 UCLA (9-3-1, 3-1-1 Pac-12) has shut out six opponents, including two in conference play.

Last year, the renowned defensive program – the Bruins ceded just 14 goals in 2013 and 2014 combined – sputtered when it faced off against offensive powerhouses. Inconsistency in the box and an unstable inexperienced back line rotation allowed opponents to penetrate into UCLA territory at will.

Now, with freshman goalkeeper Teagan Micah and a group of more experienced defenders, opponents have rarely cracked the code to break the Bruins’ barricade in the backfield.

But the past two weeks have revealed some minor weaknesses, specifically in two aspects of the game: possession of the ball and set pieces.

“Our game plan (against Stanford) was to really focus on possession,” said freshman defender Kaiya McCullough. “We are a very possession-oriented team, building out of the back, finding the channels and the splits.”

When UCLA controls the tempo of the match, patience with the ball allows each of the four defenders to make runs up the field. When the opposition maintains possession, the defense suffers and is vulnerable to speed, as seen in Thursday’s 1-1 tie with California.

[Related: Women’s soccer battles Cal to 1-1 draw off of last-minute goal]

Conference opponents have shone a light on the Bruins’ issues with set pieces as well. In five Pac-12 games, the Bruins have allowed an average of six corner kicks, as compared to just over four in their first eight bouts.

While teams haven’t netted goals immediately on a free kick or corner, they have set up situations in which rebounds and poor clearances have cost UCLA.

Against Stanford, that was the case more than once. The Cardinal scored twice on corner kicks: one on a rebound and one on a scramble in the box.

“In the end, we gotta defend the corner kick better,” said coach Amanda Cromwell. “It was really (Stanford’s) one counterattack the whole overtime. We gave up too many corners, and obviously giving up two goals is disappointing.”

Despite ceding more goals than usual in recent games, the Bruins’ back line remains stable going forward. Injuries have plagued the team this year, but heading to Arizona, the defense is healthy and has a chance to re-establish an impermeable back line.

Kyle Cardoza | Alumnus
Cardoza joined the Bruin as a junior in 2015 and contributed until he graduated in 2017. He spent time on the baseball, women's soccer and women's tennis beats.