UCPD releases annual Clery crime report for 2015

By Madeleine Pauker

More robberies were reported on or around campus in 2015 than in 2014, according to an annual university police report released last week.

The statistics come from Clery reports, which describe crime on and near the UCLA campus as required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act.

Robbery rates more than doubled from 2014 to 2015, while burglary rates fell by 25 percent, according to the report. About half of both robberies and burglaries occurred on campus property.

UCPD spokesperson Nancy Greenstein said the department increases officer patrols in certain areas when robberies increase.

“(UCPD’s) crime analyst looks at our crime patterns – what part of the day and where crimes occur – and we can use that information to help officers know where they should spend time on their shifts,” Greenstein said.

Greenstein added that UCPD officers encourage students and Westwood residents to lock their doors and windows to prevent burglaries.

[Related: University police releases Clery report with 2014 crime statistics]

The report also showed that there were about half the amount of motor vehicle thefts in 2015 than there were in 2014, and rates of aggravated assault decreased by 37 percent. Most aggravated assaults occurred on campus property.

Greenstein said she thinks more car owners may be equipping their cars with anti-theft devices, which deter motor vehicle thefts by making it riskier for thieves to break into cars.

Greenstein added the undergraduate student government external vice president works directly with UCPD to reduce campus and Westwood crime.

“A partnership with our campus community is one of the most important ways to fight crime and working with the community is key,” she said.

Madeleine Pauker | Managing editor
Pauker was the managing editor from 2017-2018. She was previously an assistant news editor for the City beat and a reporter for the City beat.