Monday, May 6, 2024

The Eight-Clap: Jim Mora focuses on victory over ASU despite injuries, penalty

Sophomore quarterback Josh Rosen threw for a season-high 350 yards in the 45-24 win over Arizona last weekend, and also had three touchdowns. (Mackenzie Possee/Assistant photo editor)

By TuAnh Dam

This is the second installment of The Eight-Clap, a rundown of eight midweek notes on UCLA football.

1. Roughly midway through the season, the Bruins are battered, but ultimately have escaped serious injuries. Redshirt senior defensive lineman Eli Ankou hyperextended his elbow against Stanford and missed the game against Arizona. The senior has been wearing an elbow brace and is “day-to-day” according to defensive line coordinator Angus McClure.

2. Redshirt sophomore offensive lineman Kolton Miller also did not practice much this week after leaving Saturday’s game on crutches. Miller was replaced by redshirt freshman Andre James who could earn the starting nod this week if Miller is unable to play.

“Everyone’s got that ‘trial by fire’ time and he had his on Saturday,” redshirt junior center Scott Quessenberry said of James. “I think he stepped up to the challenge. Going forward, whoever is the right tackle, I feel comfortable with him in there.”

3. At Wednesday’s practice, coach Jim Mora said he would limit reporting on team injuries to maintain a competitive advantage over the Bruins’ opponents. Unlike the NFL, NCAA teams do not release injury charts. Mora said injury charts are created for bettors and not doing so would help teams hide their depth and personnel.

“Our job is to win,” Mora said. “Not provide the information to the fans and the teams that could hurt our ability to win.”

4. Last week, Mora earned an unsportsmanlike penalty after arguing with and cursing at an official. After the game, Mora said he would ask the league about the flag and on a postgame radio show, the coach criticized the officiating.

On Tuesday, the Pac-12 reprimanded the UCLA coach saying that the original call was correct.

By Wednesday, Mora said he moved on to focus on the upcoming Pac-12 South game.

“My focus is on Arizona State and that’s it,” he said of his reaction to the conference’s announcement. “Saturday, Arizona State, that’s all I care about.”

5. Different Arizona schools, different defenses. Last week, UCLA faced Arizona, who has the worst rush defense in the conference. This week’s opponent Arizona State has the worst pass defense, giving up almost 400 yards a game in the air. The Bruins have averaged 305.6 passing yards a game this year, and threw for 350 last week against the Wildcats.

6. Offense, defense and now special teams. UCLA had its first big plays on special teams against Arizona with two 50 yard-plus kickoff returns. Redshirt senior wide receiver Ishmael Adams had his best kickoff return of the season, running the ball 52 yards into Arizona territory. Redshirt senior Randall Goforth took over return duties after Adams was injured in the first half. The defensive back broke a couple of tackles to give the Bruins their second 50-yard return of the day.

7. Arizona State kicker Zane Gonzalez is on the cusp of another record. Gonzalez is just three field goals away from Florida State’s Dustin Hopkin’s NCAA record for made field goals.

Gonzalez broke UCLA alum Ka’imi Fairbairn’s Pac-12 record of 413 points back in September.

Against USC, the senior broke another Bruin’s conference record. Gonzalez made his 86th career field goal to move past Kai Forbath.

8. ASU quarterback Manny Wilkins injured his leg last weekend after getting sacked in a loss against USC. The redshirt sophomore had started all five games, averaging 246.6 passing yards a game.

Wilkins wasn’t able to practice Wednesday, but coach Todd Graham said the redshirt sophomore was not ruled out for Saturday’s game yet. If Wilkins doesn’t start, ASU will turn to redshirt freshman Brady White to direct the offense.

TuAnh Dam | Alumna
Dam joined the Bruin as a sophomore in 2014 and contributed until after she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2016-2017 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, gymnastics, women's water polo, men's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis and women's golf beats.