UCLA Health to partner with Los Angeles Lakers for training facility

John Mazziotta, vice chancellor of UCLA Health Sciences and CEO of UCLA Health, called the partnership between the Los Angeles Lakers and UCLA Health an opportunity to promote health and fitness. UCLA Health will serve as the exclusive provider of in-game health care for Lakers players and will also name the team’s training center. (Courtesy of UCLA Health)

By Ryan Leou

Correction: The original article stated UCLA Health would pay the Lakers $4 million over five years. The article has been changed to show that it's $4 million per year for five years.

This post was updated Sept. 1 at 9:25 a.m.

UCLA officials announced Wednesday a partnership with the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team that covers in-game health care for players and naming rights to the Lakers’ new training facility.

UCLA Health will serve as the exclusive in-game health providers for Lakers’ players. The team’s new training facility and offices in El Segundo, California, will also be named the UCLA Health Training Center.

Tami Dennis, UCLA Health spokesperson, said in an email statement existing physicians and staff would care for the players, with the potential to hire additional staff.

“As we expand our efforts in musculoskeletal activities, including orthopedics, sports medicine and rehabilitation, we anticipate expanding our staff as well,” Dennis said.

Construction of the new training center began in September 2015 and is expected to be completed by the fall of 2017.

Jeanie Buss, president and co-owner of the Lakers, said in a statement that she is extremely pleased with the partnership.

“Their innovative, forward-thinking, research-oriented medical team and facilities are unsurpassed,” Buss said. “Their focus on not only treating, but preventing, injuries will translate into the ultimate goal of helping our players perform better on-court and to prolonging their professional careers.”

John Mazziotta, vice chancellor of UCLA Health Sciences and CEO of UCLA Health, said in a statement he thinks the partnership with the Lakers will allow both organizations to promote health and fitness to a diverse audience.

“UCLA Health is committed to improving the health of our community, both for individuals and populationwide,” he said.

The 120,000 square-foot facility will be the new home of the Lakers and will contain two basketball courts, a public sponsors’ galley for UCLA Health, separate office and gameday entries, separate and secure players parking and entry and an employee hub/internet cafe.

Dennis said UCLA Health will pay $4 million to the Lakers per year over the next five years as part of the partnership.

“The partnership includes the naming rights to the UCLA Health Training Center, a strong advertising presence at Staples Center through the placement of our brand and information about our services and enhanced visibility of UCLA Health via broadcast and social media channels,” Dennis said.

Dennis added UCLA Health expects the partnership to last 15 years. UCLA Health committed to the first five financially with the option to extend in five-year increments.

Ryan Leou | Assistant News Editor