Rio recap: Aug. 16

Former UCLA and current Team Canada guard Nirra Fields finished the day with only three points but a plethora of solid stats as she only played in the second half of Canada’s 68-63 loss to France. (Kathy Chen/Daily Bruin)

By Daily Bruin Sports

This year, at the 2016 Summer Olympics, 36 past, current and future UCLA athletes will compete in Rio de Janeiro. Each day, the Daily Bruin will wrap up the different events with Bruin highlights, key performances and upcoming events.

Track and field – women’s pole vault, women’s javelin

Tori Pena (Ireland), Brittany Borman (USA)

In some of UCLA’s first track and field appearances of the Olympics, 2010 graduate Tori Pena competed in the qualifying round of the pole vault and Brittany Borman – who attended the school in 2009 – did the same in the javelin.

Both, however, finished near the bottom of the results. Pena cleared 4.15 meters on her first attempt and 4.30 meters on her second, but could not manage to get over the 4.45 bar. She jumped 4.52 meters earlier this year, though it would have taken her best – she jumped 4.60 meters in 2013 – to make the finals.

Borman topped out on her second of three throws, in which she threw 56.04 meters. That was nearly nine meters shorter than her farthest throw ever, and like Pena, her best would have propelled her to the next level of competition.

Written by Michael Hull, assistant Sports editor.

Women’s basketball 

Canada vs. France

It looked so promising for Canada, up at the half and controlling the game. But the second half was a different story. France outscored Canada 18-13 in both the third and fourth quarters to take the game 68-63.

UCLA alumna Nirra Fields only played in the second half, shot four times and made only one to finish the game with three points.

Fields has done well for Canada during the Olympics and showing flashes of prolific scoring.

Despite her moderate scoring game, Fields ended the day with two assists, a rebound, a steal and zero turnovers.

Written by Grant Sugimura, assistant Sports editor.

Women’s volleyball

USA vs. Japan

As the quarterfinals began, Team USA showed no signs of slowing down, handing Japan a loss in straight sets to advance to the semifinals.

With the U.S. and Japan tied at 20 in the third set, coach Karch Kiraly inserted fellow Bruin alumna Karsta Lowe into the game. The opposite came up with an immediate kill and an ace off the tape to help the Americans close out the set 25-22. Lowe finished the match with three kills.

Outside hitters Jordan Larson-Burbach and Kimberly Hill tied for the team lead in attacking points with 12.

The Americans have yet to lose in Rio and haven’t lost an Olympic volleyball match since the finals in London – a loss that earned them a silver medal.

Written by David Gottlieb, assistant Sports editor.

Women’s soccer

Brazil vs. Sweeden and Canada vs. Germany

An exciting day in the world of soccer as the women’s semifinal matches kicked off in the Olympics.

UCLA was, again, well represented with Jessie Fleming and Aline Reis representing Canada and Brazil respectively. Unfortunately Brazil lost to Sweeden in shootouts and Canada fell to Germany.

Once again, Reis did not see any action as she played backup to starter Barbara Micheline do Monte Barbosa. Barbosa played a stellar game and did not allow any goals until shootouts, where she gave up four to Sweden’s three.

Fleming played the full 90 minutes at midfield and took a single shot on goal. She was not able to connect on her shot and neither would the rest of her team as Germany scored one goal in the first half and one goal in the second to defeat Canada 2-0.

Daily Bruin Sports