USAC recap – Aug. 9

By Kuhelika Ghosh

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings usually take place every week on Tuesdays at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a live stream of the meeting on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Agenda:

• USAC President Danny Siegel appointed Lynda Bui, a rising second-year economics student as interim finance committee chair, since the actual chair, Kevin Yu, will be unavailable for a month.
  • The council approved two students to serve in the USAC Judicial Board, which reviews cases of wrongful actions to ensure compliance with the USA Constitution and Bylaws. The council unanimously voted to appoint rising second-year business economics student Abigail Chapman and a rising third-year psychobiology student and former Daily Bruin staff member Nicholas Yu to the board.
  • The council unanimously approved Teresita Martinez, a rising second-year business economics student, to the CSC Mini Fund, which is dedicated to providing funds for community service organizations and activities. The coulcil voted to table approval of the second nominee, Jose Rodriguez, to the Community Service Mini Fund.
  • The council unanimously approved Emiko Kranz, a rising fourth-year microbiology, immunology and molecular genetics student, to the Campus Programs Committee, which provides funds for student-organized cultural and education programs at UCLA.
  • The council unanimously approved Richard White, a rising second-year business economics student, and Katie Kim, a rising second-year business economics student,to the Student Fee Advisory Committee. The committee advises the chancellor on the allocation of student fee issues.
  • The council approved rising second-year economics and political science student Danielle Fitzgerald as the USAC Election Board chairperson, with a 6-4 vote.

Officer reports:

• Siegel said he had his first meeting with Chancellor Gene Block, where they discussed middle income affordability, UCLA’s task force and potentially having a student board on the UCLA Foundation, among other topics. Siegel said the chancellor wants to have more collaboration with USAC in the future.
  • Siegel said he spoke to UCLA Associate Athletic Director for External Affairs Josh Rebholz, UCLA Chief Sustainability Officer Nurit Katz and Assistant Vice Chancellor of Campus Life Mick Deluca about increasing their collaboration with USAC in the future.
  • External Vice President Rafael Sands said he is looking forward to the UCSA summit, where 48 UCLA students will be able to pariticipate in discussions about student issues. He also said he is looking forward to collaborating with six or seven student organizations such as CALPIRG and Bruin Democrats to increase voter registration for the November election.
Kuhelika Ghosh | Features & Student Life editor
Ghosh is the assistant news editor for the Features & Student Life beat. She covers features on UCLA students, faculty and staff, obituaries, events on campus, Greek life and the Hill. She was previously a Features & Student Life news contributor and an opinion columnist.