Thursday, May 2, 2024

Canada heads to women’s soccer semifinals with victory over France

Team Canada, including incoming freshman Jessie Fleming (#17), are undefeated at the 2016 Olympics. The Canadians edged France in the quarterfinals. (Courtesy of Douglas O’Brien via Creative Commons)

By Kyle Cardoza

All it took was one goal.

Canada triumphed over France in Friday’s quarterfinal with a 1-0 victory, sending the 2012 bronze medalists to the semifinals for the second straight Olympic Games.

Both teams were physical in the first half of the match, garnering a total of 16 fouls combined while only accumulating six total shots. The second half was the opposite, as each team maintained a more aggressive play style.

The Canadians took advantage of the French’s lax defense, catching them off guard in the 56th minute. Shelina Zadorsky launched a deep lob pass up the pitch to forward Janine Beckie, who flicked the ball over the defender back to herself and crossed it to Sophie Schmidt, who volleyed the ball just under the crossbar for a goal.

France was unable to rally despite some major opportunities toward the end of the match. Canada goalkeeper Stephanie Labbe made two key saves in the 71st and 72nd minute and held the opponent scoreless for her second clean sheet in the Games.

Incoming UCLA freshman Jessie Fleming played the entire game for the Canadians but was less active on the offensive end in this one. The midfielder has yet to score, but has contributed to the team’s undefeated run thus far.

Canada will face Germany in a rematch Tuesday for a chance to advance to the gold medal match. The Canadians vanquished the Germans 2-1 in group play behind Melissa Tancredi’s two goals.

Kyle Cardoza | Alumnus
Cardoza joined the Bruin as a junior in 2015 and contributed until he graduated in 2017. He spent time on the baseball, women's soccer and women's tennis beats.