ASUCLA Board of Directors recap – July 29

By Catherine Liberty Feliciano

Aug. 1, 2016 12:17 a.m.

Associated Students UCLA is a multimillion-dollar organization that provides student services and activities that the university does not fund. It oversees the Undergraduate Students Association Council, Graduate Students Association, Communications Board, campus services and enterprises. Board of Directors meetings are monthly and open to the public.

Executive reports

• Executive Director Bob Williams said Chancellor Gene Block has approved the association’s 2016-2017 budget.

• Williams said he met with the campus architects and discussed Ackerman Union’s loading dock and potentially expanding the union.

• Williams said ASUCLA stores have been controlling costs by reducing their staff and leasing more space.

• ASUCLA will begin construction on the new transfer and veteran center in September or October, Williams said. The center will divide the Student Media office in Kerckhoff 118.

Financial statements

• Sales in June were slow, particularly in computers and electronics, Williams said. Dental kit, Bear Wear and Market sales have been relatively strong.

• As of June, the association has about $12 million in cash reserves, Williams said. The sum is about $2 million short of their projections, he added.

• ASUCLA restaurant sales increased in July, particularly in Ackerman, generating about $1,500 more than projected, Williams said.

Action items

• The board approved budgets for the Undergraduate Students Association Council and Graduate Student Association.

• Members voted to increase the budget for a new wireless locking system from $75,000 to $92,000. Ackerman Union director Roy Champawat said the association would update about 40 locks in Kerckhoff Hall and Ackerman to be accessible wirelessly from a central location. The university locksmith recommended the system to make operations more efficient and improve campus safety, Champawat added.

Catherine Liberty Feliciano | Alumnus
Catherine Liberty Feliciano was a news reporter and a staff representative on the Daily Bruin Editorial Board. She wrote stories about Westwood, research and student life. She dabbled in video journalism and frequently wrote #ThrowbackThursday blogs. Feliciano was an assistant Opinion editor in the 2015-2016 school year.