Sunday, Nov. 28, 2021

Community feedback surveyTracking COVID-19 at UCLACrosstown Clash 2021

UCLA Circle K wins international fundraising and achievement awards

The UCLA chapter of Circle K International recently won several awards at the Circle K International Convention in Toronto. (Courtesy of Carrie Huang)

By Kuhelika Ghosh

July 4, 2016 3:04 a.m.

The UCLA chapter of Circle K International recently won awards for club achievement and fundraising.

The club received these awards at the 61st annual Circle K International Convention held in Toronto from June 22 to 26, said Juliana Deer, former administrative vice president of CKI and a rising fourth-year biology student.

The UCLA chapter of Circle K, which was founded in 1974, is a community service organization that fundraises for charity and builds leadership among students, Deer said. The club provides opportunities to students to host events or network through mentorship programs, Deer added.

The club won second place for Club Achievement in the Platinum division, for having more than 86 members.

UCLA has placed either first or second in this division for the last nine years, which testifies to the large number of members in the club over the years, Deer said.

The group was also awarded second place for Outstanding Kiwanis Family Relations, Deer said. Kiwanis is an international organization of volunteers, who help the community through service.

“We (won because we) do our best to interact with other branches of the Kiwanis family, from elementary school students to adult members,” Deer said.

Additionally, the group won third place in Preferred Charities and Service Partners. Deer said the members fundraise money for different charities, including the Eliminate Project with UNICEF, Pediatric Trauma Program and Kiwanis Family House.

UCLA Circle K member Josef Madrigal won Distinguished Lieutenant Governor at the convention, Deer added.

“We’re very happy and proud of the club and board,” Deer said. “It’s nice to bring home something as a sign of our efforts.”

Kuhelika Ghosh | Features & Student Life editor
Ghosh is the assistant news editor for the Features & Student Life beat. She covers features on UCLA students, faculty and staff, obituaries, events on campus, Greek life and the Hill. She was previously a Features & Student Life news contributor and an opinion columnist.
Help Wanted

Remote Linux System Administrator I need someone to install updates, complete some projects and to be available for emergency issues that come up now and then with my web server/asterisk PBX servers. Experience required: apache/lets encrypt, sendmail/dovecot, asterisk/freePBX, php/mysql, DNS management and configuration of network gateways Reliability, dependability and excellent communication skills are essential. In an emergency I need someone who can respond immediately, trouble shoot and diagnose the problem and fix the issue. Please call 1.805.322.0005