Tuesday, May 7, 2024

SJP, UC DIVEST COALITION DEMONSTRATIONS AT UCLA

Submission: Commission has been accommodating of concerns in past, continues to be

By Chrissy Keenan

The Student Wellness Commission recognizes Juliette Virzi's opinions regarding the presence of alcohol at SWC retreats. SWC works continually and diligently to foster inclusivity in all health and wellness events and programming organized, especially within the Active Minds and Bruin Consent Coalition committees.

SWC retreats are for staff development, and Student Government Accounting-approved retreat agendas reflect this. SWC ensures that every retreat venue has a designated safe and sober space and does not restrict the responsible choices of any individual, including those of age who choose to drink responsibly. If there is anyone at the retreat who expresses concern, SWC works to accommodate them as best possible. A line of communication is always open for discussion, and all feedback is taken into consideration. SWC has recognized concerns in the past, and has been meticulously discussing and implementing change in order to continually foster and improve a welcoming atmosphere together.

Active Minds states that deeming responsible drinking as “binge drinking” is both inaccurate and unfair, especially to those who struggle with substance use disorder. Bruin Consent Coalition emphasizes that “Alcohol doesn’t cause rapes. Rapists cause rape,” and that conflating alcohol and sexual violence can retraumatize a survivor and hinder their healing processes.

If anyone you know was affected by the previously referenced submission or is experiencing a substance use difficulty, please know that there are resources for support. Counseling and Psychological Services has a 24-hour crisis hotline: 310-825-0768. That same number can be used to reach a confidential Campus Assault Resources and Education advocate during normal business hours.

Chen is the outgoing Student Wellness commissioner, Keenan is the outgoing Bruin Consent Coalition executive director, and Gane and Houser are Active Minds executive directors. They speak on behalf of their respective organizations.

Chrissy Keenan