USAC recap – May 24

By Bekhzod Aliev

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government that represents the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every week Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a live stream of the meetings on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Agenda items

• The council did not make any allocations from the Contingency
    Programming Fund to USAC offices.
  • The council approved an allocation of $320 from the
    Contingency Programming Fund to student groups.
  • The council unanimously voted to approve all committee member
    appointments for next year.

Officer reports

• President Daniel Siegel said that this week he attended the Community Service Banquet Thursday and the University of California Women’s Caucus Saturday. Siegel added he is trying to find out how the new Under Armour deal can also help
    non-athlete students.
  • Internal Vice President Sabrina Zeigler will determine appointments for director positions for the IVP office this week. She said she held a workshop
    for clubs to become better informed about USAC.
  • External Vice President Rafael Sands said he visited Washington D.C. to meet with federal representatives. Sands added he talked to officials
    about simplifying the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and mandating financial counseling for people
    taking government loans.
  • Academic Affairs Commissioner Ashly Mohankumar said she will be
    attending the Undergraduate Student Initiated Education reception banquet. She added she also attended the Women’s
    Caucus Saturday.
  • Student Wellness Commissioner Christina Lee said she met with Nicole Green, interim executive director for UCLA Counseling and Psychological Services to talk about how CAPS could use referendum money to
    create internships and improve their online presence. She added she will also be
    conducting the Bruins in the Kitchen event tomorrow.

Discussion

• The council discussed the actions of last year’s council in voting down the Year in Review presentation on the controversial comments made by members of Pi Kappa Phi.
  • Several council members presented to the council a resolution aiming to strengthen the relationship between USAC and the LGBTQ community. The council will vote on the resolution next week.
Bekhzod Aliev