Interested in joining us? Apply HERE by October 3!

Thursday, Sept. 29, 2022

New state budget proposal allocates $29M more to UC

By Ryan Leou

Gov. Jerry Brown released a revised state budget proposal Friday that allocated about $29 million more funding to the University of California than his January proposal did.

The budget, presented at a Sacramento press conference, will now allocate $25 million to accommodate for the increase in enrollment of at least 5,000 more students for the next academic year.

Brown also allocated an additional $4 million to develop online programs for middle and high school students that would fulfill the University’s entrance requirements, also known as the “a-g” requirements. The “a-g” requirements specify what high school subject courses students must take before applying to the UC.

The funding increases supplement the $350 million increase from last year’s budget allocation, which included about $125 million allocated to the UC to cut unnecessary costs for both students and the University, by streamlining the transfer process and creating three-year graduation pathways.

The increase also includes about $170 million to repay the unfunded liability, or debt, of the UC retirement plan, provided the UC restructured its pension options.

Ryan Leou | Assistant News Editor
Help Wanted

MEDICAL RECORDS/OFFICE CLERK WANTED for Encino Neuropsychology group practice. 8-10 hrs/wk, schedule is flexible – will work around your class schedule. Will train but one year commitment required. $18/hour. Great experience for psychology, neuroscience, pre-med or health science majors but all welcome to apply. Please send resume to [email protected] icloud.com