Waves of Change sanctioned for flyering on the Hill

Waves of Change is running three candidates for this year’s Undergraduate Students Association Council referendum. (Owen Emerson/Assitant Photo editor)

By Ryan Leou

The undergraduate student government election board sanctioned Waves of Change on Thursday morning after a person wearing a Waves of Change shirt was seen handing out campaign flyers on the Hill, according to an Election Board Investigations Committee report.

As a result, the election board barred Waves of Change from campaigning or flyering from 1 p.m to 2 p.m. on Thursday. Evidence and a witness testimony showed someone wearing a Waves of Change shirt violated provisions that prohibit campaigning in university owned or managed living facilities, including university apartments and residence halls, according to the report.

Waves of Change is a new slate, or student-run political group, running candidates for president, external vice president, and Cultural Affairs commissioner in this year’s election. The slate was previously sanctioned for buying a Facebook advertisement before media campaigning was allowed, failing to disclose a Snapchat filter members purchased on campaign finance forms and campaigning in classrooms during lecture.

Jeremy Peschard, Waves of Change slate manager, said the person passing out flyers on the Hill is not directly affiliated with the slate. He added the person, who received a Waves of Change shirt on Bruin Walk, asked to take some flyers for her roommate, and the sanctions against the slate are not as severe because the student is not a slate member.

Undergraduate students can vote in the election on MyUCLA until 3 p.m. Friday. The election board will announce results at 9 p.m. Friday in Meyerhoff Park.

Ryan Leou | Assistant News Editor