Retiring UCPD Chief James Herren reflects on 40 years of service

Under his tenure as police chief, Herren said UCPD was able to monitor individuals who may be threats to students by working with the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force. (Kira VandenBrande/Daily Bruin)

By Janae Yip

In 1997, the Torrance Police Department police chief was fired after officers under his leadership stole from the property room, where the station keeps radios, drugs and other confiscated items.

James Herren, who served as a lieutenant and captain, was asked to serve as interim chief without much prior experience or preparation, Herren said.

Herren added he intended to only have a temporary role in public safety, but later went on to develop a 40-year career in law enforcement. He will retire in June, after nine years as chief of the Torrance Police Department and seven years as UCLA chief of police.

“Things in UCPD are running smoothly right now with good leadership in place,” Herren said. “It’s a good time for a police chief to say thank you and see what is next on the horizon.”

Herren said he plans to take trips across the U.S. during his retirement, but would be open to returning to law enforcement to serve as an interim chief for a short period of time.

He added he built a strong police department in Torrance by guiding officers to be leaders – something that hadn’t been done in previous years.

During Herren’s tenure, an officer helped create a unit that investigates homicide cases. The unit, with the help of new technology and forensic tools, made significant discoveries in about 30 cold cases that had accumulated over a 40-year period. Three of the unit’s cases were also featured on Dateline, a TV show that provides in-depth coverage of solved crimes.

Herren retired from the Torrance Police Department in 2006. Three years later, he heard UCPD was looking for a new chief.

“I found the opportunity to work at a world class institution very intriguing,” Herren said. “My wife and I visited the campus, and we were immediately impressed by the leadership and how well-kept the place seemed.”

Bob Leinweber, a UCPD captain who worked with Herren in Torrance and at UCLA, said he thinks Herren was a successful leader who was open to new ideas. For example, Herren worked with other officers to create a K-9 team at UCPD.

Herren said the UCLA police department is more complex and invests more energy into each case than Torrance’s did. He added he can engage more with the community, by working with student government leaders and being involved in student debates and protests.

In 2009, students protested increased student fees at a University of California Board of Regents meeting in Covel Commons. Student protesters tried to break down the doors of the meeting room, and police pushed back. Herren was called in to ease the crowd and negotiated with then-undergraduate student government president Cynthia Flores to allow some students to voice their concerns.

Herren said he also attended USAC public forums, where students discussed sensitive topics such as body cameras and police brutality. Heather Hourdequin, USAC internal vice president, said Herren has always demonstrated an understanding of student perspectives.

Herren also developed a relationship with the FBI during his time in Torrance, an effort he later carried over to UCPD. He said UCPD was able to monitor individuals who may be potential threats to students and researchers by working with the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force.

UCLA’s quarterly Undie Run is one of Herren’s favorite memories because it allows him to see his officers in action, Herren said. He added he has urged UCPD officers to measure outcomes methodically and avoid resorting to force when dealing with rowdy students.

“It’s amazing to watch officers handle situations,” Herren said. “Last year after the Undie Run, I saw an officer patiently take a drunk student home safely. He didn’t use handcuffs or arrest him, and instead handled the situation with compassion.”

Herren said he’s seen police officers grow and continue to help their community during his time as chief.

“In the old days, police defined roles in society and decided what was important,” Herren said. “That is not the right attitude. We need to listen to the community, their expectations and their needs.”

Janae Yip
Janae Yip is currently a news contributor covering Westwood, transportation and Los Angeles.