Ishmael Adams pleads no contest to misdemeanor battery count

Redshirt senior Ishmael Adams pleaded no contest to misdemeanor battery Wednesday. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Claire Fahy

Editor’s note: A player’s year refers to his NCAA eligibility for next season. So a player who is a freshman in school this spring is called a sophomore because he will be a sophomore when the NCAA football regular season starts in fall.

UCLA redshirt senior receiver Ishmael Adams pleaded no contest Wednesday to misdemeanor charges stemming from an August incident regarding a confrontation with an Uber driver.

Adams was arrested Aug. 30 for allegedly attempting to steal an Uber driver’s phone. The driver also reported minor injuries. Coach Jim Mora suspended Adams for the first three games of the 2015 season, only allowing him rejoin the team once felony charges were dropped and Adams apologized.

Felony charges were dropped Sept. 21 after the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office found insufficient evidence to support its claims. The Los Angeles City Attorney’s office charged Adams one with misdemeanor count of battery on Oct. 19.

The Associated Press reported that Adams is required to serve three years of informal probation and adhere to additional conditions including anger management counseling.

Before the incident, Adams had started all 26 games of his college career at cornerback. The defensive back had two interceptions in 2015, one for 96 yards against Colorado on Oct. 31. The redshirt senior will take the field in 2016 as a receiver for the Bruins.

Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.