UCLA released animal treatment records in settlement for 2013 lawsuit

The Animal Justice Project protested against animal experimentation in research studies Friday. The protest was a few days before Stop Animal Exploitation Now plans to release documents that allegedly show evidence of animal neglect. (Owen Emerson/Photo assistant editor)

By Andrea Henthorn

UCLA agreed to release animal treatment records in response to a lawsuit an animal welfare organization filed in 2013 that alleged UCLA withheld public documents.

The Animal Legal Defense Fund represented Stop Animal Exploitation Now an animal welfare organization, in the lawsuit. ALDF alleged UCLA withheld documents and violated the California Public Records Act, and UCLA later offered to release the requested records in a settlement.

The organization alleged the documents included evidence of negligent animal behavior, such as setting rabbits on fire and killing sea lions, according to an SAEN press release.

UCLA spokesperson Rebecca Kendall said in an email statement federal regulators investigated the incidents included in the documents and determined UCLA complied with animal welfare policies.

Kendall said UCLA monitors laboratory research involving animals, and research requests to use animals must be approved by an independent review committee of scientists, veterinarians and members of the general public.

Michael Budkie, executive director of SAEN, said the animal rights organization filed a complaint against UCLA in February to investigate animal negligence with the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

He added he thinks the USDA has not completed the investigation because they filed the complaint less than 90 days ago, and UCLA admitted to killing animals in the records.

Budkie said they discovered new documents since the lawsuit was resolved and plan to file more records requests.

“We believe the public has a right to know what goes on in (what is) essentially (a) government facility,” Budkie said. “We are paying for (those laboratories) with federal tax dollars.”

In an email statement, Budkie said he will hold a press conference Tuesday at 10 a.m. at the corner of Westwood Boulevard and Le Conte Avenue, during which he will release legal documents about the lawsuit.

Andrea Henthorn | Alumna
Henthorn was the Enterprise Content editor from 2017-2018. She was previously a News reporter.