Sunday, May 19, 2024

Boots on the Ground: Michael McDermott’s Cadet Diary

(Kathy Chen/Daily Bruin)

By Katrina Alarkon

For the entire project including stories and photos, visit the Boots on the Ground web page. 

Michael McDermott, 18, studies Business Finance and Computer Science at California State University Northridge. He recorded his recent experience training as an ROTC Cadet and member of the Bruin Battalion. The Spring Leadership Development Exercise took place from April 14 – 17, at the Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton.

TRANSCRIPT:

14 APR 2016

So it’s April 14, 6:34 a.m., and we’re at UCLA Wilson Plaza and we’re just waiting to board the bus. Probably gonna be getting on in about 25 minutes. I took one last shower this morning, just to savor it before four days of no washing. [LAUGHS] Which is why baby wipes are gonna be the best. We’re just, we’re waiting.

I was so excited I actually couldn’t get a whole lot of sleep last night. (Cadet Garcia: Hi, Cadet McDermott.) Hi, Garcia. This is my buddy Garcia. He’s in my squad. (Cadet Garcia: I’m not in his squad.) Yes you are! [LAUGHS]

Once we get on the bus I’ll probably enter my next log, once we start unpacking and whatnot. So yep, first log. [WHISPERS] Go Bruins.

Testing, testing. Okay so it’s April 14, Thursday, it’s 12:37. We just finished up some training at the Battle of Fallujah Training Course. It was pretty cool actually. I had a pretty interesting time. My squad and I did pretty well at all four of the stations we were at. I feel like that this is a good start to another four days worth of training.

We’re right now on a lunch break and I had my first MRE, which was really good actually, surprisingly. I heard a lot of bad things about the one that I had but it tasted pretty good. I’m feeling pretty good, I’m feeling ready for what’s coming up next.

I’m continuing off my last entry, it’s April 14, 4:24. We’ve moved away from the LRC and we are now at a location closer to the mock village that we will be revisiting in the coming days. We have just gone over rifle training, how to carry a rifle, use a rifle, shoot a rifle, the various type of information. We’ve also gone over EPW, which is enemy prisoner of war, and aid and litter.

Feeling a little hungry. [LAUGHS] But we’re about to have a really good meal. Right now being prepared. After this we’re gonna be rucking to our next location where we’re gonna be setting up a patrol base. I’m feeling good, I’m keeping hydrated and glad to be out here. Until then I will put in this as my third log.

15 APR 2016

I have the sniffles. This is log entry number four. Today is Friday, April 15, it’s 5:10. Woke up about 10 minutes ago after getting I think roughly four to five hours of sleep last night. So I’m feeling a little tired, not gonna lie. I also pulled security last night for two-and-a-half hours along with an additional two hours beforehand when we were forming the perimeter.

I’m feeling a little tired and a little hungry. But I got a couple snacks so I’ll be munching on that. I’m really missing my bed right now, like bigtime. I’m not gonna lie that that sleeping bag was not very comfortable and we slept on a hill, which sucked. [LAUGHS] But nonetheless I’m still having a good time, it’s a good experience and I’m really up for more. So until then, goodbye.

Today is April, Friday the fifteenth, it’s 12:45. We’ve just conducted, or we finished conducting a mission where we interrupted a SAAPA resupplying route. That was a pretty cool experience, we got to fire off our rifles at the enemy.

After conducting the mission and accomplishing the mission, we have come to a new patrol base. To the west of the village that we will be reconning today. We’ll be stepping off at around 2:30 and returning back at 4:30, which is when I’ll probably do my next entry.

Today is really, really hot and I think I already I have a sunburn on my neck. Definitely missing the A/C in my dorm and my bed and a shower. But hopefully the next couple days go smoothly, just as they’ve already been coming along.

17 APR 2016

Today is April 17, Sunday, it’s 7:30 and we’re all gathering up to prepare departure from the LDX location. My thoughts on the other night, the reason I couldn’t put a whole lot of entries is back to back to back we were on the field doing mission after mission after mission. I think yesterday was definitely a good experience as I was involved with all the missions that we conducted. On top of it, when we came back we did weapons maintenance and cleaning which unfortunately took a very long time. It looks like we’re getting ready to do a police call. This is my last entry. I had a really great experience.

Katrina Alarkon