GSA presidential candidate stresses importance of community events

Michael Skiles was elected as president of the graduate student government. (Laura Uzes/Daily Bruin)

By Meghan Hodges

Every September, Michael Skiles walks the halls of his apartment building, sticking notes on the doors of his neighbors’ rooms to invite them to meet and socialize.

Four years into his degree, Skiles said he is still focused on creating a vibrant social life for graduate students by hosting frequent socials through the Weyburn and Hilgard Residents’ Association.

Skiles, president of WHRA, is running for Graduate Students Association president under Moving Forward, a student-run political organization. He said he would like to continue much of what he has done for WHRA, which oversees graduate student housing, on a larger scale if he is elected GSA president.

Skiles, a teaching assistant in philosophy, said he thinks leading GSA would allow him to offer more social events for graduate students. He added more than 600 people have attended the events he organized.

“It’s far too easy for grad students, given how busy they are, to become isolated,” Skiles said. “It can’t be all about work – that’s a recipe for burnouts. Students need a support system and to have an outlet, to socialize and blow off steam.”

Steve Lookner, a graduate student in philosophy who worked with Skiles through WHRA, said Skiles has been able to transform previously underattended social events into parties for hundreds of people.

Lookner said he thinks Skiles is unique in his ability to concern himself with social events, but can also address student policy needs and work with administrators.

Skiles previously worked with underprivileged students through a volunteer program he started at Princeton University called Foundation Tutoring. He added his experiences taught him to recognize the importance of ensuring a voice and equal opportunities for everyone.

Sam Norton, a close friend who met Skiles as an undergraduate student at Princeton University, said Skiles has always been dedicated to listening to others’ concerns and making sure everyone is comfortable. Together, the two worked as volunteers in Foundation Tutoring.

Norton said Skiles recognized how tough it was for students to commit to certain times each week, so was flexible with volunteers’ schedules.

“He made an effort to ask people who were involved (how to best make) it work for them,” Norton said. “He is very good at listening to other people’s concerns so everyone’s voice is represented.”

Skiles credits his motivation to help others to his parents, who became successful in their careers despite not receiving college educations.

He said he thinks growing up as the grandson of Mexican immigrants and a first-generation college student has given him a different perspective.

Skiles said his father’s ability to move up from a porter in a car dealership to running a chain of car dealerships showed him how the people in his life had moved forward to accomplish their goals, regardless of their educational achievements.

“If he had more credentials or even a college degree, he wouldn’t have needed (to achieve as much) for people to take him seriously,” Skiles said. “(People tend to discount others) for positions when they don’t have college degrees.”

Skiles said he wants to help people make the most of the opportunities afforded to them.

“In the process of meeting these different sorts of people (at social events), I’ve realized how much everyone has to offer,” he said.

Meghan Hodges | Enterprise Production editor
Hodges is the Enterprise Production editor. Hodges was previously a News reporter.